• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Help Please

I have not been diagnosed with Crohn's. I have a colonoscopy scheduled and my doctor feels strongly that all my symptoms point in this direction. I have read several stories on this forum about others experiences and I think mine is similar.

About a year ago I woke up in the middle of the night with a terrible stomach ache. I promptly made my way to the bathroom. The pain was so bad I just laid on the floor so that I could easily get to the toilet. All night I had cold sweats and felt like I was going to pass out. By the morning the pain had gone, although my stomach was sore for days because of the workout it had just recieved.

For several months I had no more problems. I just assumed the first experience was some sort of bug. Then one night it happened again. Again, it left as quickly as it came, but this time I started to think maybe something is wrong. I did not go see a doctor until the third time. They ran several tests but could not determine anything. I was told that if it happened again to go to the emergency room and maybe they could catch the problem why it was happening. The fourth time I went to the emergency room and several tests were run.

Finally the doctor concluded that I may have Cron's, but nothing was immediately done. Within the last few days my pain has returned along with the diarrhea. Because it has returned this time the doctors seem very concerned.

I have been told that this is not typically how Crohn's first presents itself, but from what I have read here it seems to happen this way. Does this seem like anyone else's experience? If so how have you made udjustments to overcome? Any info you can give me would be great.

nogutsnoglory

Crohn's can flare up and get worse and then quell down or even go into remission. Your describing a very quick change which sounds atypical. Having horrible pain one night and then being ok is not typical for Crohn's as this is a chronic illness.

Aside from blood tests, what tests have been conducted that leads them to think it may be Crohn's?

Besides multiple blood draws I have had X-Ray's, CT Scan, Upper Endoscopy, Ultrasound, and one other type of scan that I cannot remember the name of. I have a colonoscopy scheduled.

The reason they have not called it Crohn's in the past is becasue it has not seemed typical. The doctor has rulled everything else out and that is why we are now talking about Crohn's as an option.

The colonoscopy will be the determining factor-That is how my son was finally got his diagnosis after years of test. In a diagnosis there will be sadness and joy for you will have an answere-Just maybe not the one you want. Thank goodness we have this forum