• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

help to find good chrons doctor in denver area...

anyone have any tips on how to accomplish this? besides random google searching?

i need a second opinion about some things because my side of the state has its head in the sand a bit the best i can tell....

any recommends or tips how to even search would be appreciated....

ok well.......can someone tell me all the bad ones then? maybe i can subtract the reverse ;P
why isnt this easier? isnt there some sort of national directory or something?

feel like im missing something....

my little penguin

Staff member
hmm, i dont see a way to filter hospitals regarding chrons/IBD...not an option...doctors has an output but 2986 of them hmm......over here there is like 3.....idk how i am supposed to seriously filter thru 3k doctor by reviews tho, or how much you can trust an average review....

this is sort of what i was looking for anyway, if it worked....list of good GI places.....there has to be one.......i know mayo, but i need something in colorado....anyone?

I googled and saw there were support groups for IBD. That may be a way to talk with people and get a recommendation. See here.

My google search for IBD center and Colorado yielded this. (There may be other IBD centers in Colorado but the one in Aurora is the one that I saw.) They look knowledgeable and have a team approach. They offer a course for doctors (See here). I personally would think this is a reasonable place. I would google names of doctors for reviews. It the docs had 4+ stars, it makes me optimistic. Low stars or multiple reviews with complaints would rule out the doctor. I looked up Dr Gerich (his name is on the course) and saw excellent reviews here that seem sincere but note they are on the hospital website, so not sure what they do with negative reviews.

Good Luck!

thank you all, i am still trying to figure this out and feel like im screwing up a bit because i should have already done this by some standards...

one of my hangups is, i dont just want a random second opinion......i want one from someone who understands my situation and has a more progressive view of chrons compared to my current team....

the best idea i thought of so far, since it seems practically impossible to sift thru a list of 3k doctors........is to talk with an IBD specializing ND or 2 in the area(which i found already), then ask them if they suggest any certain doctor once they understand my situation....

but i have been waiting on that for months trying to gain funds......i think the GI doc part i can get medicaid to cover, but without having the first clue who to talk to, that doesnt help.....

the main issue btw..........

need to learn what logic or sense there is, if any, to my wanting to not dive to 4 months rifampin, then biologics.....
i bet you all 5$ i do not have latent TB, its only a technical error saying i do, which cannot be proven......if i dont take biologics right away, i dont need to take the rifampin, which is most likely going to trigger me in the first place...

it seems like if i can even stay healthy 5 years or so we could see more options, but really i think i just need to hear actual information and answers to my questions from people who arent lying and somehow more afraid than i am.

my little penguin

Staff member
Positive tb test by skin or by quantiferion gold blood test ?
Positive tb test unfortunately no matter where you go means latent tb needs treated
What meds they use or how long prior to starting biologic depends on the infectious disease doctor not Gi .
Have you failed immunosuppressants such as methotrexate?

i got 2 negative qfg tests while in hospital getting surgerys.......then one positive right before starting humira.....over all this time i was effectively quarantined btw, so unlikely i got tb in covid paranoid hospital or at home alone...

when that happens i guess they order a t spot to clarify it....lab tech submitted the wrong lab, another qfg....which came positive again.....i did get the t spot tho right after, which came out negative......so if i didnt get that one incorrect lab, i would already be on humira right now.

i understand treatment for this is under the virologist, but she tells me, the only reason to be treated at all is if i would be talking biologics....
given that it seem more likely to me i do not have tb, i mean, they could even come out with a more reliable test for that in coming years idk...

i have not taken anything since surgery basically, because of all this.....humira i believe is the only thing medicaid will let me take tho...

regarding tb treatment tho, i was basically told there are 3 options.....9 months of antibiotic, 4 months of rifampin, or 3 months of rifampin + another......not the greatest options imho......esp looking at the side effects etc of rifampin you know....

i feel in some degree of remission atm, although i am certainly sensitive to what i eat.....1-2 BM per day generally pretty picture perfect but a bit soft toward the end....idk...strict diet.......but of course i know this can all suddenly change for "no reason" so trying to not be stupid wasting time......but also dont want to rush to a line of harmful treatments that could instantly make things worse for something i prob dont even have....idk, frustrating lol..

thank you for the feedbacks, its all been like an avalanche this last year but this last part is really doing my head in some...

the other thing i dont like about the rifampin thing is after i complete the course they still cannot verify if i have it or not....

so i wouldnt be able to take qfg labs anymore, but i also would not be able to be treated with rifampin again.....

so its kind of like burning thru biologics options, dont want to take it unless i really really have to, then if i do of course cannot stop.

basically it makes me more vulnerable to actually getting/having problems with tb by burning thru the rif option when i dont have it.....

im told those 2 "false positives" trump all tho......i can show her 10 negative tspot tests(95%acc) and she wont change her postition!