• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Help with Diet

Hello, this is my first time posting.

I have had Ulcerative Colitis since 2001. I don't want to follow the traditional route of taking medications for treatment. I tried several drug types a few years ago but found the side effects to be almost as bad as the disease. I can't live like that. I was inspired by the books by David Klein and Paul Nilson, who cured their Ulcerative Colitis with diet. So I am looking to communicate with other people on here who are managing Ulcerative Colitis or Crohns with diet too. I have had a few ups and downs over the years. But by using diet methods, overall I am vastly improved from how I was in 2001. I have found diet restrictions to be most helpful. So I am looking for additional diet or supplement ideas that I may currently be unaware of. Are you managing the disease with diet? If so, please share your trade secrets and ideas with me.

Thank you

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
I was inspired by the books by David Klein and Paul Nilson, who cured their Ulcerative Colitis with diet.
Hi Miss Spencer, welcome!!! I suppose there is a great deal to be said for the power of positive thinking, but I'd be careful with claims of cures around here. Lifelong remission would be an amazing accomplishment!! Hope you've found the Treatment and Food and Diet sections by now. There are several on here who take the more homeopathic approach to their disease. Good luck and always post your successes. Thanks for joining and stick around!!!

Welcome Miss Spencer

I hope the diet route continues to improve your symtoms and I hope you do your own investigation into people "claiming" to have cured this disease...again, good luck with your journey and keep us posted about your results.

Jerry

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hi Miss Spencer and :welcome:

Good to see you here. There's loads of people here that control their symptoms with diet and and varying supplements and alternative treatments to maintain remission as long as possible but I think most go back to traditional methods when the need arises. This is a great place for support and info so stay around and browse the forums and if you have any questions just ask away. Good luck and welcome aboard!

All the best, :)
Dusty

Thank you for the welcome Dexky. Yes, lifelong remission is a better word to use than cure and I should have used it. Sorry. From what I have read, both of the authors are in lifelong remission through their diets. Even if I don't achieve lifelong remission, any improvement through diet will be better for me than taking those awful drugs again. And yes, I eventually found the diet section and have reposted there.

Thank you for the welcome gringo. Don't worry; I never take things at face value or by hearsay. I always do plenty of research before embarking on anything new. But from what I have read and from my own experiences so far, I am convinced that diet is the best way for me to go. So would like to talk to others taking the same journey, as I am always open to new ideas on food or supplements that may be helpful.

Thank you for the welcome DustyKat. For myself personally I would prefer never ever to go the traditional route again. Never say never but I hope I never will have to again. So it is great to hear that there are plenty of people on controlling their symptoms with diet, supplements and alternatives. I will seek them out on the diet board.

Welcome to our forum. I smile as I read the reactions when you used the word cure here as most of us suffer and deal with this illness and have heard about miracle cures. I wish your positive thoughts will keep you in remission and you will not need medications
Good luck

Hi Miss Spencer,

Welcome to the forum first of all! Have you looked into the SCD? When I first went into remission I followed that diet strictly in combination with pentasa and LDN and it did wonders. It's something worth looking into if you haven't already. It's a strict diet though and if you don't know how to fully utilize it you may lose weight. Personally though I thought it was pretty easy once you got used to it. But then again I was always munching on the desserts in the book Lol.

Astra

Hi Miss spencer
and welcome

Yes I was going to mention the SCD too, my friend with UC sticks to a Mediterranean diet based on 'Breaking the Vicious Cycle' by Elaine Gottschall and has had a lot of success with it, in terms of less bleeding and D.
hope you find some relief soon
lotsa luv
Joan xxx

I think diet has a massive impact on symptoms and a really important thing when dealing with IBD is to find out what works for you and what doesn't. Good luck with working out what helps you :D

Here is a link to the Specific Carbohydrate Diet.....................
Thank you for that link.

I have had a look through the sample menu, but there is not a lot on it that I can eat.

Dairy flares me up, so that strikes out the cream cheese, curd cottage cheese and homemade yogurt

The Saccharin they suggest for sweetening the homemade gelatine is an artificial sweetener and a poison, so I would not be using that. They also approve of Aspartame, another poison.

Animal flesh flares me up, so that strikes out the chicken soup, broiled beef patty or broiled fish. An anaphylactic reaction in one swift bite

If I ate many of the things they suggest I would either be rolling around on the floor in agony, or glued to the toilet.

But apart from approving poisons like artificial sweetener which is very worrying, they do include some good information like avoiding pasta and added sugar, and also making food at home as much as possible. I will be interested to read it further when I have more time.

So thank you again.

Thank you for that link.

I have had a look through the sample menu, but there is not a lot on it that I can eat.

Dairy flares me up, so that strikes out the cream cheese, curd cottage cheese and homemade yogurt

The Saccharin they suggest for sweetening the homemade gelatine is an artificial sweetener and a poison, so I would not be using that. They also approve of Aspartame, another poison.

Animal flesh flares me up, so that strikes out the chicken soup, broiled beef patty or broiled fish. An anaphylactic reaction in one swift bite

If I ate many of the things they suggest I would either be rolling around on the floor in agony, or glued to the toilet.

But apart from approving poisons like artificial sweetener which is very worrying, they do include some good information like avoiding pasta and added sugar, and also making food at home as much as possible. I will be interested to read it further when I have more time.

So thank you again.
Actually there is a huge list on the official website for the SCD that doesn't really do too much limiting. I would take a look at this link: http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info/legal/legal_illegal_a-c.htm

The SCD is essentially a high protein diet with dairy and fruits and vegetables.

If this is still something that you think you can't do, then you should definitely try to find a different diet. I just thought I would link you to the official list :)

Have you tried a low residue diet? It's just essentially low/no fiber.

The SCD is essentially a high protein diet with dairy and fruits and vegetables.
Thank you for the second link.

I can't have any animal protein as both dairy and meat make my bowels worse. But I already consume a lot of fruit and vegetables, so half way there.