• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Help with medicine instructions!

Have got to take 2x day Calceos with my pred, and I have found the instructions a little confusing.

"Do not take Calceos Chewable Tablets within two hours of taking food"

So, does this mean no tablet in the two hours before and two hours after food?

So tablet at 10am, no food 8-12 etc? If that's twice a day then not sure when I can fit in eating, I sleep alot right now, hopefully the Pred will improve that.

Already have to do the pred with food at 8am, so I guess the first tablet would be when I get up (past 10am) and then nothing to eat for 2 hours. The second tablet would be two hours after my second food, then another 2 and I can eat again. Have I got this right? Sheesh! Or maybe I can do the morning tablet, eat as I want during the day, and figure out a way to do the second before bed/ the evening.

Giving them alongside something which increases appetite is going to be fun it seems :( I know I need them and all that but...

But maybe if I have such short periods where I can eat I won't put on weight from the Pred :rof:

Last edited:
So I called the Pharmacy where I got them, apparently mine was the second question on this today! They think it's only certain types of food, but they will call back with the information end of next week (due to 2 public holidays). Said not to worry too much in the meantime about when I take them- but with something as important as calcium and Vit D I think I will do the 4 hour window just to be safe until I hear back from them. A potential week's worth of damage isn't worth the risk just for the sake of being able to eat when I want to.

If anyone still has advice it will be more than welcome :)

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hey StarGirrrrl,

Yes, it sounds like you have it right. Eat breakfast, tablet mid morning and then lunch and so on, unless you have a toilet stop early in the morning before getting up! Like you say, you could always have the second dose at bedtime.

These are the types of food they interact with...

Taking Calceos with food and drink:
This product is likely to interact with some foods, for example those containing oxalic acid (e.g. spinach, rhubarb, sorrel, cocoa, tea), phosphate (e.g. ham, sausages, cheese spread) or phytic acid (e.g. pulses, whole cereals, chocolate). It is therefore recommended that Calceos tablets should not be taken at the same time (e.g. two hours before or after) as meals containing these types of food.

Source:
http://www.galen.co.uk/downloads/Calceos_Chewable_Tablets_PIL.pdf
HTH, :)
Dusty. xxx

Thanks Dusty- took my first one today, yuk! Tasted like some kind if funky lemony chalk.

Early morning is a great idea, I don't usually sleep until 1-3am so could take one then.

Seems easier now to do this week while I wait to hear back from the Pharmacy.