• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Help with Medicines for pain and Cramping

I am diagnosed with Crohn's Disease with inflammation of the termnal ileum. My doctor recently diagnosed me with IBS due to the cramping and sometimes stabbing pain throughout my abdomen.

I am currently on Remicade at 10 mg/kg at a 6 week interval. The remicade definitely helps, but does not relieve everything.

I always have a dull aching pain throughout my abdomen. I have been on the following medincines for this and nothing seems to help completley.

1. Bentyl 80 mg/day - Took about 5-10% of the pain away.

2. Hyoscamine or Pamine 20mg/day - Made the cramping worse because of it causing severe constipation. It also caused blurred vision within about 2-3 feet in front of me. It was almost like my eyes had been dialated.

3. Amitriptyline 30 mg/day - This works the best but does not relieve me of everything. I am currently on this medicine.

4. Methocarbamol 750 mg and Gabapentin 300 mg - This combination with the Amitriptyline probably works the best for about 2 hours. These two medicines are not prescribed by my GI doctor. I thought since the intestines are a big muscle, a muscle relaxer would help.

At this point, I don't know what medincine would help with the cramping pain. I have tried all of these medicines for about 4-6 weeks before changing. Any advice would be appreciated. I'm going to set up an appointment with my GI doctor next week to see if there is another medicine that could help.