• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Help With Relieving Symptoms During Flare

Hi, I'm new here so here goes...
I was diagnosed with crohns 7 years ago following a prolonged period of ill health and a lengthy stay in hospital. I was put on azaithioprine and I have taken this ever since despite being over the recommended 5 year use. On the whole I have been quite well I managed I complete my degree an get a job.

However... For the past two months I have vomited pretty much everything I eat, if I do manage to keep my food down I get horrendous pain in the upper abdomen and to be honest vomiting is a pretty good relief from the pain. I was taken to hospital and sent home told to make an appointment with my gastro, my nurse wouldn't give me one tho as my blood results were ok! I finally got an appointment and I've had a colonoscopy and gastroscopy biopsies were taken and it looks like I've now developed duodenal crohns. I am awaiting confirmation and treatment for this but does anyone know how long this sickness lasts or what will relieve it??
I've not been to work for two months and they are totally harassing me so I'm feeling pretty fed up and low. Any advice would be appreciated...

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Hi Chloe26 and welcome to the forum! :D

There is no cure for Crohn's disease unfortunately. Everyone is different so I cannot say how long your symptoms will last. During a flare changing your diet can definitely help with symptoms. I go on the low residue diet during flares and it helps a lot.

Since your Crohn's has become more active its clear that your current treatment isn't enough. Has your GI mentioned increasing the Aza dose or adding another medication or switching to another med entirely? There are so many options out there such as 6MP (very similar to Aza), Humira, Cimzia, Remicade, Methotrexate, Low Dose Naltrexone (LDN) etc. A med change along with a diet that works for you to help relieve symptoms is a good start.

Hopefully your new treatment plan will put you in remission soon (some medications can take up to 3 months+ to start working, steroids may help with the transition though). Keep us posted on how you're doing. :)

Thanks for the reply...
I've tried a higher dose of azaithioprine in the past but unfortunately was unable to tolerate it and so the dose was reduced, we have discussed remicade so maybe this is what we will do! I have an MRI scan in a couple of weeks and then a follow up with my GI so hopefully we can sort a new treatment plan!
On the diet front I'm struggling with everything, when I vomit my food isn't even digested and looks exactly like whatever I ate. Hopefully we can get this sorted soon as I'm losing weight and feeling exhausted!

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Have you tried eating smaller portions more frequently along with softer foods like soups and stews etc? Are you having a hard time keeping liquids down as well?

I can keep fluids down in small amounts and I've tried the same with food. Sometimes with anti sickness I can keep down small amounts of food but larger meals are definitely off limits there is definitely a quantity issue!! I'm trying mainly liquids small and often

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Can you talk to your GI about trying Enteral nutrition for now until they decide on a treatment plan? You need nutrients. If not EN then can you try something like Ensure powder (the vanilla flavor is safe as it doesn't contain Carrageenan which could make things worse, a lot of supplement drinks have that ingredient unfortunately) or Ensure Clear (does not contain Carrageenan)? If those are out of your price range then making your own soups and drinking the broth will help give you some nutrients. You could also try blending up the soup so there's no solids or there's also juicing.