• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Help with Skin Problems!

Hi all!
I just want to preface with I am calling the doctor tomorrow, and I know I shouldn't have waited this long. I just didnt want them to change my meds, since my gut had been feeling great!

Here is the situation:

A couple of weeks ago I noticed a patch of what looked like big red bug bites on my leg and one patch directly on my butt. They felt almost like burns when you touched them. Gradually the pain went away and they started to look more like small deep purple bruises. I sort of wrote it off as bug bites since I spend time outside and my belly had been feeling great.

Then I got another patch (6 or 7) on my hip, then another on my other ankle (3), a few on my feet, a few on my calves, 4 on my belly, and 2 on my arm. They burn, then itch, then look like weird bruises.

I was planning on calling the doctor about this anyway, but then tonight the entire bottom of my face broke out into crazy itchy burning hives for no apparent reason. There are little swollen bumps all over the bottom half of my face. You cant really see them, but you can feel them.

I don't think these are allergic reactions as I eat a very low-allergen diet and have made absolutely no changes in diet and eat very few preservatives or pesticides.

I am wondering, is this the sign of a flare? Is this an unrelated issue? Have any of you had these symptoms? I feel SO good internally (finally!) that I would be really bummed if this was a sign of doom to come. I also work outside and these problems are making me look a little too beat up to wear shorts, so I'd like to get the problem cleared up ASAP, even if it ends of being mostly a cosmetic one. Any insight would be appreciated!

theOcean

This doesn't really strike me as an extraintestinal manifestation from a flare... but at the same time I'm not sure what you're reacting to. Could it be something in your environment?

I had something very similar except that it always appeared on my lower body

google: Erythema nodosum

those marks cleared up with time.

Call your pharmacist to make sure its not a side effect of Imuran

Best of luck