• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Help!

help!

ughh im scared now!

tonight i noticed that the skin around my incision was a little pink and looked a little swollen and has also been stinging a bit, but i thought it was just cause i have been moving around a lot more yesterday and today.
but i decided to take a look and i just peeled up the edge of my baseplate of my pouch and it is a little red around the staples and there are small spots of what looks like pus type stuff :(
it wasnt like that yesterday at all! my home care nurse came out and we changed my appliance and she said the incision looked very healthy to her, even though it was stinging yesterday too.

ummmm please someone tell me this is normal?
i am seeing my surgeon tommorow anyways, so i know that it will be answered soon, but im so nervous now. infected wounds seriously scare me :eek:

heeelppppp meeee

awwww, i've never had anything infected so far, my c-section staples were text book perfect, which is :) for me, & :( for trying to help kello.

bah!

ookk. thanks for the input. i guess i will find out tommorow :( mehhh

c-section? i thought that was the term used for surgical infant delivery...jed, is there something you need to tell us?
haha but really, is that what the name of your surgery was? huh. thats interesting.

ps thanks for your quick response. much appreciated

I'm sorry. I wished I could help but I have never had surgery before. I will say some prayers for you. Hopefully it's nothing. Best of luck

thank you jeff. it probably is nothing. im probably over freaking out, but i guess this is one thing that has always scared me.

lol ok jed, i got it. jokester.

don't worry too much Kello.. it can happen sometimes. i know when i had my first surgery i was told to have salt baths, these days i don't think they recommend them as much, but apparently it does help to keep things clean and infection free. maybe ask the doc or nurse if you're ok to do this & then put a clean dressing on after..?

Kello, the stinking around the stoma may be caused by a leak in the seal. Did it feel better when the baseplate was change?

Ask your nurse for a product to seal around the stoma, before putting on the baseplate.

the incision was infected. had a giant pus bubble inside of it.
will post the details in Surgery Time thread....no sense in running 2 threads.

dingbat said:
maybe ask the doc or nurse if you're ok to do this & then put a clean dressing on after..?
i never actually had a proper dressing over the staples, they were just open to the air, but bc of proximity to the stoma, the adhesive part of the baseplate covered them. i feel as if a proper dressing mightve prevented this.

Kello, the stinking around the stoma may be caused by a leak in the seal. Did it feel better when the baseplate was change?
Ask your nurse for a product to seal around the stoma, before putting on the baseplate.
it was the actual incision area that was stinging, not around the stoma.
to seal around the stoma ive been using these strips of waxy sticky stuff that attatches to the back of the baseplate...forget the name atm. and then once the base is on i use stomahesive powder which forms a seal right around the stoma.

i do intend to order some of those marzipan-like ring things you mentioned. i would like to give them a try. but even so, i havent had any issues with irritation due to stool contact with skin.

A localized infection around an incision is not unusual for me. I have had two surgical procedures in my life, and both ended up with an area pus in the incision. This usually happens when it is mostly healed. I just squeeze it out and clean it out the best I can. They both finished healing after.

The infections seem to push out from inside to drain. I think it is the bodies way of getting rid of it.

Dan