• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hemi-colectomy and open apendectomy scar itching

farm

Captain Insaneo
I had a right hemi-colectomy and open apendectomy back in December. I am currently going through the worst flare of my 15 year career with Crohns but my question is, does this scar ever stop itching? It's been 6 months and it's driving me crazy. Doc says it's normal and it could be a year before my new plumbing adjusts it's self and I should get used to weird noises and weird feelings, but dang! This itching has got to go!

Just thought I''d ask.

forum contributor

Captain Obvious
Hi, Farm. I'm sorry you're going through such a hard time right now. I haven't had surgery so I really don't know, but I just wanted to show my support :confused2:

farm

Captain Insaneo
Thanks Santos.
I got some cortisone cream that seems to help out a bit. I guess if itching is all I have to complain about, I'm good!:)

One of my incision scars will kind of ache every once in a while. Just out of the blue too. The other incision scar (being from the belly button straight down) will sometimes hurt at the top by the belly button when my jeans push on it for too long. But none of mine itch. Hmm.. they did shortly after surgery while they were healing .. but not now. I was going to ask if it was normal for them to ache every once in a while, but figured it was normal. <shrug> I didnt have a colectomy, so I don't know anything about whether that's normal or not. Don't worry, a few in here have and they'll be by to comment sooner or later I'm sure. :)

farm

Captain Insaneo
Now mine do ache every once in a while and the doc said that is normal. He explained how when they cut through (in my case) the ab muscles, that all the nerves and nerve endings they cut will start to heal and will cause some mild aching pain for up to, in a few cases, a couple years after surgery.

My best friend had surgery for colon cancer back in 2000 and he said sometimes if his clothes press against his scars they will sometimes still ache a bit.

Mine itched for the few weeks after surgery as they were healing, but it didn't last as long as yours. I can imagine it would be torture, I hope you find relief soon.