• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hemorrhoid or?

Hey gang, just wondering how often ppl on here get hemmys? And also do they turn into abscesses? I've had this one nagging external hemorrhoid that comes and goes, it's soooo frigging irritating. I hope it is just a hemmy though and nothing more sinister

Mine seem to be permanent fixtures, probably cos I find it difficult to go most days. So far I've not had any abscesses (touch wood).

I just recently got external one... Very annoying and not very painful. I'm worried too since I have a colonoscopy coming up and don't really want to deal with it during prep. This is also my first external since my theory I have CD.

I think I had an internal one that became a fissure or something. Started bleeding and oozing for a long while which eventually was found by GI doc. It's what keyed him into looking at CD as a cause for all of my symptoms.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Rollinstone, I'm in a similar situation - I think I have both internal and external hemmies right now, and I also hope I don't have anything more sinister. I'm supposed to have a flexi-sig soon to check it out. I've been passing a lot of blood (none for a few days now, hopefully that's over with), and having pain & pressure in the anal/rectal area. Feeling run-down and fatigued as well but that could be because of the blood loss. No fever so hopefully no abscess for me. Anyway, I hope you can get yours figured out soon and that it's nothing scary!

Lady Organic

Staff member
I have had my first H experience about a year ago when I started to have increased bowel mvts everyday (flare). It has remained a chronic issue even if remission came back, but still improuved. Now, since a few days I barely feel it, but I am not jumping to any joyful conclusions yet! The discomfort has always been minor in my case, but just enough to be annoying. (feeling of a small ball stuck in there). many of my friends (non-IBD) have H too and it seems it is a chronic recurrent issue for all of them too. It seems like when H starts, it becomes your new lifelong friend :thumbdown: Ive never heard of a bleeding H as an opening door to an abscess, althought there could be some logic there... What you describe sounds like H and not an abscess.
I dont know your current disease activity, but regular/normal bowel mvt should help improve this situation. If stools are too big, it can make the H bleed. (happened once to me)

Don't just assume it's a hemorrhoid till you know for sure....l learned the hard way. For the last few years every 6 months or so l kept getting pain in the rectum that l thought was caused by hemorrhoids. As the pain always settled in a day or two l never bothered seeing my Dr. The last attack l had didn't settle down after a few days and then l developed a fever. A ct revealed a huge abscess that had probably been growing for years.

Get it checked out by your DR.

Hey gang, just wondering how often ppl on here get hemmys? And also do they turn into abscesses? I've had this one nagging external hemorrhoid that comes and goes, it's soooo frigging irritating. I hope it is just a hemmy though and nothing more sinister
I only had a hemorrhoid bleed once and that was many years ago.

Every time I feel a sensation "down there" I go into a panic attack about rectal abscesses and anal fistulas ! It could just be hemorrhoid irritation, but my issue with my UC has ALWAYS been diarrhea. I had an anal fistulectomy in 1992, and two rectal abscess surgeries in the 2000's. I don't like having surgeries "down there" and I would rather have anything but a surgery in my anal area......SO UNCOMFORTABLE AND EMBARRASSING.:eek2: