• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hemorrhoids Causing lots of pain and issues...

So, over a month or so now I have had some issues with the hemis, they do flare mildly on occasion...but the last few weeks has been pure misery to the point I now stay nauseated, bleeding with every bm, which up until the last couple weeks has always been D. Now the stools are far from normal, more of a sludgy mode. But due to the swelling, I am having an extremely difficult time emptying anything at all. My last visit my GI prescribed a cream I insert, but I get so swollen I have difficulty inserting. I still have urgency, but the pain is so severe that sometimes I feel as if I will pass out. I have gained almost 5 lbs the last two weeks and not from eating. Even though I do have a bit of bm daily, can I still begin to have obstruction or back-up issues? I am new this type of problem. My crohns issues have always been D and all the side effects from that. I think that originally the hemorrhoids became irritated because of the D.

I have an appointment on Thursday as a follow-up. But the misery is almost unbearable. Sorry for all the details. I just need some advice.

Thanks...

I had an obstruction six years ago but still had bm issues. Maybe they need to operate on the hemorrhoids/the obstruction.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
I've been there and I feel for you. The cream that you insert, is it a steroid? I was given steroid suppositories, and although it sometimes REALLY hurt to insert those, they did help.

Another thing that can help a bit, is to get into more of a squatting position when you're on the toilet. You can get one of those "squatty potty" things or you can stack up something like books in front of the toilet to help you get into more of a squatting position. This supposedly puts less pressure on the rectal area and shouldn't aggravate the hemmies too much. Make sure you're not spending too much time on the toilet, either. I was told 2 minutes max and I try to stick to that.

Good luck on Thursday! I hope you can get some relief!

Surgery was mentioned last month at my last visit, but to be honest it terrifies me probably more than any surgery I have ever had. Sounds weird I know, esp with all my other issues. Some serious anxiety over this. I haven't even shared this with anyone except the GI. I am so embarrassed over it. :'(

I have never heard of two minutes max. I am more like 15 - 20 at times, seriously not kidding. I can have up to 10 bm a day as a norm for me. With this I am there probably 10 min at a time. I have tried squatting some, and that does provide some relief on the pressure. But I have soooooo much pain it's unreal. Thank you for the advice. I have never been more ready yet more worried to go the dr. The med he prescribed were a type of cortisone if I remember right.

I had surgery, it wasn't fun, but it took care of the issue. I was miserable before surgery; they would get better and then worse again. Mild relief with sitz baths and believe it or not ice helped, but surgery was the end answer for me. That was 30 years ago, and no problems with it since....

How long did it take to get over the surgery?
Boy, it was a long time ago, so my memory is fuzzy. But I believe I was really uncomfortable for a couple days and then probably back to moving around pretty normal within a couple weeks. But I'm guessing the surgery has been improved since I had it. I went under the knife, I would guess they do laser now....

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
I had my hemorrhoids banded by a colorectal surgeon - but, they came back within like 3 weeks. That surgeon was pretty dismissive of me so I got a second opinion from a different CR surgeon. This second doc said he didn't want to do anything - he said that, with IBD, he didn't want to do anything that might cause scar tissue in my rectum. That made sense to me. I stayed on the steroid suppositories for a few months and that finally seemed to take care of the issue.

I ached so badly today. I pray they call in a new rx for me tomorrow to try. TMI but even my vaginal wall aches. Pain scale, I am almost a 9.

And now, just because hemorrhoids are just not enough, let's add kidney stones to the mix! I woke up around three last night in severe pain that would not subside; this has never felt like any other kidney stone I have ever have. So after realizing the pain wouldn't go away, I headed to er. Thankfully, the hemorrhoid pain has eased off some today after a horrible day yesterday. The GI said he wants to wait until my appointment Thursday to change the meds for that. I guess he is wanting to check them out himself??? At any rate, hoping the pain meds will help me pass the stones (he said it was a 3) and let my bottom heal up some. In the meantime I have resorted to using baby wipes to wipe as I am so sore, using Desitin to see if it helps the external soreness, etc. And life goes on...

Saw the GI yesterday and he prescribed more meds to see if it helps and if not he is sending me the surgeon that took care of my adhesions. He said that the crohns is probably what is causing so many rectal issues. AND, he said according to the CT there are 8 kidney stones and feels that it is probably due to the crohns. I have two on the right, but they aren't bothering me. I see the urologist on Monday for those, but praying they go away this weekend sometime. I taught all week, except Monday when I was in the ER all day. This has been one of the roughest weeks I have had in some time.

Saw the GI yesterday and he prescribed more meds to see if it helps and if not he is sending me the surgeon that took care of my adhesions. He said that the crohns is probably what is causing so many rectal issues. AND, he said according to the CT there are 8 kidney stones and feels that it is probably due to the crohns. I have two on the right, but they aren't bothering me. I see the urologist on Monday for those, but praying they go away this weekend sometime. I taught all week, except Monday when I was in the ER all day. This has been one of the roughest weeks I have had in some time.
Sorry

Hemorrhoids are the WORST! I had some a few months back...I thought they would never go away. It was probably Crohn's related but in my mind I thought it was from eating heavy pasta, so I quit it completely. Eventually they went away totally! I kind of want to cook pasta again, but that pain...it might not have even been related.

Kidney stones on the left side are gone, surgery went well for the most part. My bp dropped dangerously low again unnder the anesthetics. This is the second time this year that I have had such drastic reactions - went to 73/36, so recovery took longer than expected. The Urologist definitely agrees that these stones are caused by the crohns, malabsorption issues. He wants me to begin calcium supplements twice a day so they will bind tho the calcuim and not develop into stones. Rectal issues still going on. The rectal tags are staying inflamed no matter what all I have tried. Bleeding still is an issue. Worn slap out, but going back to work tomorrow. Brain fog is going to be an issue...