• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hemorrhoids

Does anyone have any advice on how to deal with Hemorrhoids? I've actually had these for years, but they've never bothered me until now. At the start of the year I changed jobs and like in any new job it takes me a while to settle in and I end up going to the toilet more often...probably due to anxiety and I haven't had the best of luck with people in previous jobs.

I've been going to the toilet more often than usual now for the first 2 weeks of the year, I went to the toilet twice on Saturday, and I have had a huge pain in my ass...LITERALLY. I just thought it was something like ring burn for going to the toilet so much...it happens.

However I woke up today feeling the same, so I've put some ointment on it and had a warm bath to hopefully reduce the Hemorrhoids. Anyway I'm back at work tomorrow, and not only that I play 6-a-side football on weekends and I prefer to go to the loo before I play. But right now I feel too uncomfortable to go.

Anyway, like I said has anyone else got any way to deal with this?

Thanks in advance

Hi Shellyboy. I'm so sorry to hear of the pain you are experiencing. I bet it only adds to your anxiety with your new job too. Ugh!

Other than the burning sensation when you go, have you actually confirmed that it's hemorrhoids? I'd be concerned that your output has increased, which could be a sign that other things are going on. Are you straining when you go? Do you feel like you aren't getting it all out in one sitting? What is your current diagnosis? (Crohns, UC, etc) I'd suggest making an appointment with your doctor to see if there is an underlying cause for your symptoms.

In the meantime, try to use wipes instead of toilet tissue. Be sure to keep the area clean and dry. Stay hydrated, which should help with the consistency of your bowel movements.

Good luck to you!

Hi BowelMeOver,

My general health is fine at the moment, I suffer from Crohn's Disease and IBS, I was put on new medication in March last year, and I have been feeling fine since October, I haven't had any stomach cramps etc or those sort of symptoms this year.

When I first got Hemorrhoids years ago, I was in college and again very anxious and kept going alot which made them develop. But the doctor has seen them in the past and confirmed they are indeed hemorrhoids, they've just got more swollen now. At the time he diagnosed me, I was in any discomfort so I just carried on with me every day life...

Hi Shelly!

When was the last time you went in for a colonoscopy?

you should most definitely go to your GI as Hemorrhoids are most likely crohns related

Hi Amaze,

The last time I had one was towards the end of September last year. It was routine and the doctor was happy with the results and recommended I stayed on the medication I am already on...

Sometimes the best thing is to have them fixed at the doctor. I had problems years ago, and finally went to a proctologist that got them to stop. I have never had problems since then. The other fix that seems promising is exercise and diet. My doc managed to get the problem zones under control, and I wish I had gone in much earlier. It would have saved many uncomfortable days.

Hey Durwardian,

Thanks for your advice. I went to the doctors today, and they re-commended a different ointment to what I have already be using...and this morning I went to the toilet for the first time in like 3 days!

I don't feel as bad as I did at the weekend, but I'm still going to use the ointment to play it safe.

Hi Amaze,

The last time I had one was towards the end of September last year. It was routine and the doctor was happy with the results and recommended I stayed on the medication I am already on...
In crohns that can be ages ago. You should go see your GI and bring up the fact you hadnt had a colonoscopy in over a year

Hi Amaze,

It isn't over a year, I last had one in September, by which I meant the one just gone...

However on a different note with the hemorrhoids, they've came back the last 2 days worse than ever.

It started yesterday again, after I've been going to the toilet a little more and it got bigger.

Then today at work, when I was on the loo, it popped and blood came flowing out. It still has been ever since tbh. I went to the loo every 10-15 minutes at work to help dry up the blood....it felt like I wet myself :mad:

Anyway I finished off my shift etc, but my main concern is infection?

As I was going to the toilet at the same time, do I now risk infection on the hemorrhoids? As poo can get under the skin...I'm a little concerned...

Do keep it as clean as you can. See the doc. I use a light coating of triple antibiotic creme plus pain relief after carefully cleaning up that area. It should start healing up pretty quickly. If blood continues, get in to have the bleeding stopped. That's quick and very effective.