• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hemorrhoids

Flaring for a month now and have developed external hemorrhoids. At what point do people seek more help other than calling their GI every few days?? I’m down about 7lbs (I’m a very petite woman, so this a lot for me), still bleeding, waking up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom. I’m starting to lose it. The hemorrhoids are really the straw that broke the camels back, because now I’m afraid to eat because I’m afraid to poop.

I’m going on day 5 of 40mg prednisone. Prior to that was on 9mg Budesonide for 2 weeks with no improvement. Prior to that was on hydrocortisone enemas with no improvement.

This is my worst Crohn’s flare since being diagnosed in 2006.

Just needed to vent, but also if anyone has any words of wisdom from experience, it would be greatly appreciated. I’m sinking into depression.

Sounds like the prednisone isn't cutting it for you. Budesonide and prednisone are both steroids and are meant to only help you get out of a flare rather than a long term treatment. I don't know anything about hydrocortisone enemas, but you said that you took them with no improvement.

Have you ever been on any other maintenence medication?

Sounds like you need a new doctor if you have to constantly call them every few days.

Sounds like the prednisone isn't cutting it for you. Budesonide and prednisone are both steroids and are meant to only help you get out of a flare rather than a long term treatment. I don't know anything about hydrocortisone enemas, but you said that you took them with no improvement.

Have you ever been on any other maintenence medication?

Sounds like you need a new doctor if you have to constantly call them every few days.
Thanks for your reply. Is this normal? To flare for over month and not respond to any corticosteroids? I’ve been flaring since 10/22. My next GI appointment is 12/9. Not sure if I can deal with this for much longer. Today marks day 7 on 40mg of prednisone.

I wouldn't say that is normal. Usually corticosteroids like prednisone usually work pretty quickly. I would probably see if you could move up your appointment with your GI.

Everyone's body is different. Some meds work great for people, while others not so much. All you may need is a change in treatment.

Have you had any imaging done lately such as a colonoscopy? That might give your doctor a better idea of what meds to prescribe.

Last scope was 1.5 years ago. I’m due in the summer. I’m still not getting better. Day 8 on prednisone. Still bleeding, hardly eating since I’m afraid to go to the bathroom, waking up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom. Not sure if the hemorrhoids are bleeding from the inside. I’m exhausted from it all…

Hmmm, so it looks like your scopes weren't that long ago. Not sure what your doctor will want to do.

I understand the fear of making sure that you are near a bathroom at all times and it's a terrible feeling to have. But when it gets so bad that you avoid food, that doesn't do you any good either. You don't want to deplete your nutrients, since that will only cause more problems. I don't have any particular suggestions for what you should be eating in a flare since everyone is different and responds to what they eat in different ways. I myself don't really have any "trigger" foods that make my symptoms worse in a flare. I would look into the diet, fitness, and supplement section of the forum. You'll probably find better advice than what I can offer.

I would also try as best as you can to move your appointment up with your GI. If that doesn't work or if your GI is still being unhelpful, I would look into getting a second opinion from another GI doctor.