• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Here I am . . . wow!

I have never had any symptoms of Crohn's until after my cholesystectomy (gallbladder removal) I had some back pain and thought it might be a complication of the surgery. I was dismissed by my personal doctor as having a backache from a pulled muscle. I insisted that something was wrong and was told begrudgingly that a CT and CBC would be ordered on my behalf.
After the CT, I was told that I had inflammation in the small intestine. I just did the colonoscopy, and the GI says he thinks its Crohns. Waiting for biopsy results Thursday, but I have already been taking Pentasa. I would love to complain about its cost, but I have already been reading on here and I see the financial and physical burden that some of you shoulder with your multiple medications. I am a bit naive and obviously in denial, and it is starting to hit me that I may be actively medicated for this for the remainder of my life. I am so down. This is really unbelievable to me. I suppose that I have posted this because it seems to me that though most people here are suffering in some aspect, most people have come to terms with their condition and are living as best they can. I am not living right now. My life is frozen until I can get past the enormity of this.

Hi bob. I feel the exact same as you. I didn't have any symptoms until I had my gallbladder removed. It's hard to get your head around but stay positive. This forum is great for help as advice. I am currently undiagnosed but I'm positive a diagnosis will be sooner rather than later and it's upsetting to think about it but I will adapt my life as best I can x

Hi Bob, It does take time to absorb the news of the disease. There is so much support on this Forum, I am so thankful for finding this. It has helped me grasp the reasoning behind taking the meds and there is so much support from so many people.

I too was diagnosed with Crohn's in the small intestine and put on Pentasa. I have not had any side effects from it, but they do keep up with blood work every other month so if it does any damage, it will be caught.

Good luck - you will be able to come to terms with all of this and hopefully the meds will keep any further inflammation/damage done to your organs. :ghug:

Interesting - I didn't really have many symptoms until after my gall bladder was removed as well! I've never heard of a link though? I did have some IBS symptoms prior to gall bladder, but developed a lot worse symptoms immediately after gall bladder surgery. Crohns diagnosis wasn't for another 10 years though, as was never severe and always chalked up to IBS and chronic diarrhea from gall bladder removal.