• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Here to help support my sister!

My name is Abi, my sister was diagnosed with Crohn's a few years ago when I moved out. She's moving in with me soon and I want to make sure I understand and can help her when she needs it. I'll introduce her to this forum as I think it will do her the world of good.

Thanks for wanting to help your sister. Crohns Disease can affect anywhere in the intestinal tract. Your sister might be spending long times in the bathroom. She might have bouts with diarrhea, bleeding, constipation. The disease affects everyone differently. We will look forward to seeing her if she decides to come. Let her know you are there for her.

It's great that you want to help your sister. I live on my own now, but when my husband was alive the hardest thing about sharing a home was trying to hold on for the bathroom if he was in there. He loved long, leisurely baths and unfortunately we didn't have a separate toilet. I used to feel bad about hauling him out when I was desperate but he was very good about it. I think being considerate about food is also good, not trying to get a person with Crohns to eat anything they're uncomfortable with, and maybe changing your eating patterns a bit to fit in slightly - for example, if your sister can eat baked potatoes, have baked potatoes for tea several times a week.