• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Here we go again!

here we go again!

Last March I got my diagnosis of Crohns disease. It was the worst flare I ever had, and I had them before I just never knew what caused it, and they were they ever that bad. I remember before it all started that I had to switch from my usual huge coffee mug to a regular 8 ounce mug because the tendons in my inner elbow hurt when I lifted the cup. Well guess what... it started again and so I am really worried about the spring pollen season, pollen has always been a trigger for me. So I plan to see the doc and ask for Humira.

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
Oh good luck Scott!! I remember last summer you thought you were getting sick again but it didn't last long. Hopefully, it'll pass.

ameslouise

Oh no Stinky!!! I hope you can nip it in the bud (or butt, as the case may be)!!

Good luck at the doc. I hope it turns out to be no big deal. Take care and keep us posted!

- Amy

PS How's your daughter?

You guys are great! the other appointment I am going to make is with a psychiatrist, an MD type. Not that I want to get over being nuts, I actually enjoy a little crazy, lol. but seriously many of us know there is a mental affect, short temper etc. and I just want to explore that with a doctor, maybe try some meds. I'll keep you all posted,

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
I hope you see a psychologist along with a psychiatrist. Sure meds may be a good idea to try but in my experience it always works better to have someone to talk to as well because your appointments with you psychiatrist are limited to roughtly 20-30 min or less whereas with a psychologist you get a full hour each time you see them (per week to at most every other week). Around here, most psychiatrists wont even see you unless you're also receiving therapy along with it for anxiety, panic, depression, the crazies etc. Good luck! :D

I hope you see a psychologist along with a psychiatrist. Sure meds may be a good idea to try but in my experience it always works better to have someone to talk to as well because your appointments with you psychiatrist are limited to roughly 20-30 min or less whereas with a psychologist you get a full hour each time you see them (per week to at most every other week). Around here, most psychiatrists wont even see you unless you're also receiving therapy along with it for anxiety, panic, depression, the crazies etc. Good luck! :D
I'm not looking for therapy, Not that I could not use it, I mean we all have issues. But what I wonder is medically what changes happen, I remember years ago when I first got symptoms I was doing a job, I install HVAC stuff, anyway I was like guys I didn't like who took shortcuts and did half butt work. But I felt this total lack of patience suddenly for the type of work I loved. The same sort of feeling that I think I always have a certain level of and occasionally it gets really strong and I am very short tempered and angry, slamming a door or something. Anyway I'm convinced there is crohn's in the brain and that inflammation or something goes on, just like joint pain.

The trouble I see i convincing anyone that my crohn's is causing me a mental issue medically and not psychologically. Because unfortunately for me, crohn's is only about 5 on the list of things that drive me crazy!

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
I haven't read anything that states that Crohn's can cause mental issues "medically." Yes it can affect our moods (like it would anyone to have to deal with a bunch or crap) especially with certain medications (Prednisone). Swelling in the joints and eyes have occurred but I've never heard of swelling in the brain causing, what are you suggesting? A certain portion of your brain is being damaged? This I doubt but would be willing to check out any scientific studies done on the subject.

Everyone has a breaking point, whether you have Crohn's or are perfectly healthy. Stress affects everyone and it affects everyone differently. I for one started having high anxiety which turned into a panic disorder. I see a psychologist to help manage the panic and the anxiety. I used to see a psychiatrist too but the trial and error of meds doesn't work for me and neither do the meds (probably because I don't actually have a chemical imbalance in my brain).

There are different types of psychologists out there. One that works for me is one who specializes in anxiety and one that may work for you is one who helps manage stress/anxiety along with anger management. Using both therapy and medication will help give you the tools to get your life back the way YOU want it to be. Medication alone may take forever or possibly not work at all or just make you too tired to care about whatever it is now that pisses you off. In therapy you don't sit there and talk about your problems and cry and on a shoulder, you talk about specific instances that brought on your issue be it anxiety or anger and then you work on methods to help control that anxiety or anger. Its VERY beneficial to do both at the same time.

Crabby I am suggesting that the crohn's has a medical affect on the brain. I have no real proof just my own personal experience. I have had a life of bad luck and one life challenge adfter another, not crying over it, because I am really good at making lemonade, I've made barrels full of it. So having crohn's has been comparatively easy emotionally for me. I'm like this pack mule hauling bad luggage around and crohn's is just another bag that so far hasn't been all that heavy.

In any case, one thing I noticed a few years ago was when I went on a low carb diet. I basically avoided processed sugar and processed grains and I lost a lot of weight and my level of energy was much better.

diet can affect our brain, even the endorphins of jogging affect our brain. To surmise that an autoimmune disease can affect our brain seems like a pretty simple set of dots to connect.

As I said before I think it is hard for someone (doctors and scientists) without the disease to differentiate between emotional issues from dealing with having crohns and brain/mood changes caused physically by the disease.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
I don't see the dots connecting myself as diet and exercise are apples compared to ones immune system (the orange). I bet studies may have been done on HIV/AIDS patients. Perhaps you may find the answers your seek in studies done for that. Crohn's can affect the nutriets and the nutrients we get affect our brain but that's not a direct cause of Crohn's affecting ones brain.

I don't see the dots connecting myself as diet and exercise are apples compared to ones immune system (the orange). I bet studies may have been done on HIV/AIDS patients. Perhaps you may find the answers your seek in studies done for that. Crohn's can affect the nutriets and the nutrients we get affect our brain but that's not a direct cause of Crohn's affecting ones brain.
Crabby thanks for your challenging questions because really I should get as much information as I can before I see a doctor. Here is the most promising so far.

The role of autoimmunity and brain inflammation in disorders of learning, behavior and autism
There is a large and growing body of evidence for the role of brain inflammation due to immune dysregulation in disorders of learning, behavior and autism. A study recently published in the journal Biological Psychiatry shows how the microglia (immune cells in the brain) are activated and increased in the prefrontal cortex in autism:

“In the neurodevelopmental disorder autism, several neuroimmune abnormalities have been reported. However, it is unknown whether microglial somal volume or density are altered in the cortex and whether any alteration is associated with age or other potential covariates.”

The authors used advanced immunochemistry and nuclear imaging techniques to compare microglial activation and volume in autistic and normal brains. Their conclusion:

“Given its early presence, microglial activation may play a central role in the pathogenesis of autism in a substantial proportion of patients.”

http://www.lapislight.com/wp/2010/0...in-disorders-of-learning-behavior-and-autism/

Response

I don't know guys. I am not perfect by any stretch of the means. I worry about tons of things..constantly. I believe that after years of being like this, you're wiring changes...No amount of therapy can help. (Arm chair psychology!) Anyway, top it off with crohns...I think it makes things worse...Just an opinion...You know what they say about opinions. :ybatty: Sue

ameslouise

Interesting topic and good discussion.

In other threads, D Bergy has talked about depression and how controlling inflammation for his Crohns had the unexpected benefit of curing his depression.

Autoimmune diseases can affect SO MANY parts of us -skin, joints, eyes - why not the brain?

Interesting topic and good discussion.

In other threads, D Bergy has talked about depression and how controlling inflammation for his Crohns had the unexpected benefit of curing his depression.

Autoimmune diseases can affect SO MANY parts of us -skin, joints, eyes - why not the brain?
Amy,

I saw my doc and he scheduled a colonoscopy and then we'll talk about med changes. I asked him if crohn's had any affect on the brain, memory, temperment, etc. He said very flatly, no.

Of course symptom number one for me has always been a short temper/loss of patience for anything/can't stand being in a crowd. A general uptighness, lol. Then I get D and my mood improves. lol! only a chronie can say that right?!

well my colonoscopy went well, I woke up from my propofol induced sleep, which is good, poor Michel Jackson. I still have crohns in my ileum and large bowel as it was last year, but not as badly inflamed. He found an ulcer in the large bowel, hope I never get a fistula from it. Said I had small hemorrhoids too which is new. So we decided I should go on Humira. In other news I broke my fast with chicken fingers and french fries and a large piece of warm apple pie with ice cream for desert, plus coffee. All in all I can't complain too much about were I am at right now.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Stinky! It's been awhile, can't believe I missed this thread up until now. Glad to hear your scope went well and you're going to go on Humira. I hope it works well! Keep us posted!

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hey stinky,

I'm glad to hear everything went well with the colonoscopy and you lived to tell the tale!

You were hoping to go on Humira and I see the doc has prescribed it so that is good. I hope the breaking of the fast was yummy and satisfying!

Take care, :)
Dusty

Hi Cat! I don't post as much as I'd like to or used to. I hope all is going well with you and they've figured out what ails you. any DX yet?

Dusty the break fast was delightful, thank you, so good I had to sleep it off with a little nap. lol! I hope Matt, Roo and you are all coping well these days. You sure have you hands full! May blessing come your way in great abundance.

ameslouise

Hi Stinky - Thanks for the update. All in all, not a bad report.

Good luck with the Humira! Lots of us on it here to give you plenty of good support and advice!

- Amy

Dexky

Hey Scott, I just saw your new post and it seems we may be joining the Humira club with EJ as well. Hope it goes well for all of us!!

Mark,

Good luck to us both on that, I hope EJ tolerates shots well. I am getting worse at it as I get old. lol I used to take shots with ease and now I have to close my eyes and sort of will myself through it.

Is EJ playing baseball again this year? Ryan is in a pitching clinic and tryouts are in a couple of weeks, hard to believe spring ball is right around the corner.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Hi Cat! I don't post as much as I'd like to or used to. I hope all is going well with you and they've figured out what ails you. any DX yet?
Nope, still undiagnosed, but doing okay. I can't remember the last time I talked to you, so maybe you already know some of this - I finally got fed up with being ill all the time so I asked to try pred, and it worked wonderfully. I felt so great on pred, and my symptoms all came right back as soon as I was off of it again. So because of that, my GI does think I've likely got an IBD but there's still no indication as to what type (my GI thinks it's probably either Crohns or microscopic colitis). He's hesitant to put me on pred again because it's so harsh, so he put me on Entocort (which also worked well) for a few months and I just finished up with that. Currently waiting to see if I flare or not (just took my last Entocort yesterday so it's still a bit early to tell). But all in all, I've been feeling pretty well lately.

Glad to see you back! Let us know how the Humira works out for you. :)

cat I'm glad you're at least feeling better. I wonder what microscopic colitis is, that is different than regular colitis? because you can see crohns UC under a microscope the difference is where they find the granulomas crohns and colitis is really the same thing just as far as how deep in the tissue you get these granuloma cells. I posted a u tube video once... (googling) here it is. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WZNYP-sWnY

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Yeah, microscopic colitis is different from UC. Apparently microscopic colitis can only be found on biopsy - scopes look normal, and the inflammation is on a microscopic level so it can't be seen on CT or anything like that. And it's apparently somewhat patchy in the bowel like Crohn's is, so if they biopsy the wrong spots they won't find it. If you know David, the forum administrator, he was recently diagnosed with microscopic colitis. Here's an article that briefly explains MC:
http://ibdcrohns.about.com/od/faqsmccclc/a/microcolitis.htm

So yeah, I could have that or I could have Crohn's. I'm at work now so I can't watch the video but I will watch it when I get home tonight.

Cat, interesting. The good news is they say it sometimes goes away. Wouldn't that be great! You know there are alot of these autoimmune diseases that share so many similarities. I hope one day they figure out some common denominator that helps us all. Well, good luck to you in the meantime, and nice chatting with you again.

Dexky

Mark,

Good luck to us both on that, I hope EJ tolerates shots well. I am getting worse at it as I get old. lol I used to take shots with ease and now I have to close my eyes and sort of will myself through it.

Is EJ playing baseball again this year? Ryan is in a pitching clinic and tryouts are in a couple of weeks, hard to believe spring ball is right around the corner.
Hey Scott, he's signed up and raring to go. They will have the tryout/draft in March. Come on spring!! I've had all the winter I want!!

Mark, yep I love spring baseball, glad to here EJ is playing again.

Amy, that's great. What divison is your boy in? Mine's in tripple AAA he'll be 10 at the start of the season.

ameslouise

He's 9. He's in Minor League Nationals - whatever that means! Hasn't picked up a glove or bat in months - hope he does okay today!

Isn't it nice to think about baseball instead of Crohn's? :) Now I just need a new Phillie to love since they got rid of my BF Jayson Werth....

He'll do just fine Amy, it's more important he gets a good coach than looks good for tryouts and you don't have much control over that.

As far as J Werth, well you could always become a Nationals fan like me! Which so happens to be a lot like having crohns. lol! But hey we have Strasburg and this kid they drafted last year (name escapes me) who is supposed to be the next coming of Babe Ruth. Phils should be the team to beat again this year. Can't wait for spring!