• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hernia or no hernia, that is the question??

Hernia or not??

• yes i was informed of hernia when dx'd with crohns

Votes: 18 46.2%
  • no i was not informed of hernia when dx'd with crohns

Votes: 21 53.8%

• Total voters
I was interested in whether or not persons with IBS, Crohns and UC also have been told they have a hiatal hernia? This interests me the more i read in the forum, it appears that with all the tests we undergo for diagnosis of our disease, we find other interesting facts.:stinks: i was informed that i do have a hiatal hernia :(

Hey Angel - I did not get a dx with hernia with CD - in 1998 but last yer I did have a hernia repair as well as a nissen fundoplication with mesh wrap.:ycool:

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
I've never had a hernia before but maybe once Afidz is feeling better she can tell you all about them. :)

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
I am officially undiagnosed (am unofficially diagnosed with IBD). The first time I had an upper endoscopy (Aug 2010), everything looked normal. But at my most recent upper endoscopy, which was just a couple weeks ago, they did find a hiatal hernia. So I didn't have the hernia when my IBD symptoms first appeared, but I have one now.

The older you get, the more common it is to have a hiatal hernia. Many people without IBD have hiatal hernias.

I had UC symptoms for almost 20 years before diagnosis and hiatal hernia did not show up until I was 42.

I've had a few hiatal hernias, repaired with mesh, and I also have had several abdomal hernias. Theyrr no fun at all!!! Sorry you have this to deal wih on top of everything else. :hug:

I had a hernia also,it sent me to the ER once when it came out.It was very painful.It was repaired during colostomy surgery,mine was a "Belly Button Hernia".

I also had hernia on 2006. I had a tension-free hernia repair and within two months i was back to my normal life. So be cool. Find more testimonials from different patients here at shouldice.com

Just thought I'd add a bit of general information here. A hernia can be any weakness in a muscular or anatomical area where another structure can bulge through.
In the case of a hiatus hernia, the muscles on either side of the oesophagus are weakened, so acid contents of the stomach can flow back up the oesophagus, causing reflux oesophagitis. If the weakness progresses, part of the stomach, or even occasionally colon can migrate into the chest cavity. One of the frequent repairs for this type of hernia is a Nissan fundoplication - the weakened muscles of the diaphragmatic crura are stitched together, and the stomach is "wrapped" around the oesophagus and stitched in place to prevent the hernia recurring.
Abdominal wall hernias include umbilical (belly button), and inguinal (groin) hernias. A Shouldice repair is one of the techniques for repairing an inguinal hernia
Since 10-15 years ago, many hernias can be now repaired laparoscopically

HD

Have found taking Omeprazol 20mg daily has made a huge differnce and i get severe heart burn only occasionally now and take Mylanta or Gaviscon if needed. When in flare up it was much worse and felt like a huge lump was in the middle of my upper chest.

I have a hiatus hernia, but I got it 8 years before any IBD symptoms started. It was caused by my two pregnancies during which I also put on lots of weight and fluid retention. I have taken a low dose of omeprazole ever since.

I'm currently looking into whether a few weeks on a higher dose of the PPI omeprazole than usual following a nasty gastric bug could have anything to do with my development of Crohn's.

[Possible link between IBD/IBS and SIBO (Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth) and PPIs and rosacea (which I also have). Currently trying to get tested to see if I have SIBO.]

ron50

I was born with a hiatus hernia. It cost me big time . Apparently doctors could hear bubbling in my lungs. It was the top of my stomach resting on my lungs but they dxed it as bronciectasis, a serioius lung disease. Iwas put on two drops of creosote in a glass of milk most nights till I was around ten. Any wonder I finished up with ibs and colon ca. Ron.

I have a very large hiatel hernia. I will get more info on this when I have my scopes on 4/22. My GI was concerned about how big it was on my last Endoscopy. I do take 40mg of Omeprozole /day. I'm begining to really think all of these issues I have are inter-related. I also have Barrett's Esophogas. Stomach and intestinal issues have run in my family. My brother also has Barrett' s and Diverticulitis. Mother and son Crohn's. Me ?????????

I found out I had a hiatal hernia about a year before I was diagnosed with crohn's. Also I'm 22 so age had nothing to so with it. Doc said I probably had it since birth.

afidz

Super Moderator
I have never had a hiatal hernia, but I have had (and still do) several incisional hernias

I have had 2 incisional hernia repairs, the last one being where my stoma was. My surgeon meshed my entire abdomen, almost 3 years ago. I feel like I have another one now, in the same place. It is not visible, but I can feel it.

I have a moderate hiatus hernia.

As a general note they are common in westerners, especially those with constant diarrhea. Our low fiber diets and sitting down for BMs are the typical points of blame.