• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hernia post right hemicolectomy

I had a right hemicolectomy to include an ileocecal resection on jan 29th had a premature abscess so started Iv antibiotics and then oral. Now I am having pain at my incision. Well slightly to the left of it no real major bulge, although feels like maybe a slight one? Seems like it's been one thing After another Has anyone had an incisional hernia and what did it feel like?

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hey ktburo,

Just a couple of questions:

Are you male or female?

Where exactly on your abdomen is the pain/bulge?

How far from the incision is it?

Dusty. :)

afidz

Super Moderator
I have A LOT of experience with incisional hernias, I have had quite a run in with one or 10 in the last 4 years. Do you already have an appointment with your surgeon?
To be safe in the meantime, where an abdominal binder if they gave you one in the hosptial, if not you can find them at medical supply stores or specialty pharmacies for around 20 bucks. Avoid ALL lifting and bending and be cautious about the way you move or turn.

I am female and its a midline incision...I do have an appt on Monday with my surgeon just wanted to see what other people's experiences were...kind of nervous I may have to have another surgery :(

vonfunk

Bourbon Bandito
Next time you cough, put your hand over the spot where you think the hernia is. In theory you should feel it pop out. But with that said that method is not a 100% certain way of confirming.

Mine used to hurt when I coughed, sneezed laughed etc. But I have no issues with it causing pain anymore.