• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hernias after abdominal surgery?

ekay03

My dog has hands!
Anybody have incisional hernias after abdominal surgeries?
In November I had a very large verenal hernia fixed w/ mesh. I currently have a seroma 9 mm and now another hernia (much smaller, but painfull) has appeared. I am kind of concerend about having surgery again so soon. I have an appointment w/ my surgeon tuesday. Im sure her will figure this out, but untill then I am left to feel like an old pair of jeans that needs another patch, but Im not a pair of jeans. I am a person so its gonna be a lot more compicated then sowing on a patch, and really Im thinking " How on earth can they even fix this?
I haven't seen this covered in this forum. Am a alone with this?
Also thank you for listening to my vent. :)

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
I had to look it up to know more about it. This did not happen after my surgery but I can see how it could be somewhat common with an unskilled surgeon. There's an institute that specializes in these sorts of repairs it seems, perhaps you could contact them. Here's their link: http://hernia.tripod.com/incisional.html

I also found this:
"An incisional hernia may be small enough that surgical repair is an option, not a necessity. If the hernia is large, causes pain or is steadily growing, surgery may be recommended. Another option is a truss, a garment that is similar to a weight belt or girdle, that applies constant pressure to the hernia." http://surgery.about.com/od/proceduresaz/a/IncisionalHerni.htm

Dunno if that helps but I guess that's the best I can do. Sorry you have to deal with this. :(

I had an incisional hernia repair after two previous surgeries relatively close together. The doctor said it was quite minor but took the opportunity to open up my original scar and neaten it up some what. The original looked like the surgeon had used a knife & fork rather than a scalpel.

ekay03

My dog has hands!
as of today I am on my surgeons schedule for monday April 11. Never looking forward to surgery but I do look forward to a flat stomach. I hope this will be the last one too!!