• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hey all!

Hey all!

Been to this forum for a while now but havent signed up until now. Gained some useful info from here so hoping to give some input back in to the community.

A bit about my condition - I was diagnosed with Crohn's back in 2008 (I was 28 years old). I was admitted to hospital on 2 separate occasions back in 2009 for about 8 days each due to severe flare ups. Being put in Hydrocortizone seems to do the trick for me.

Towards the end of 2011 I had a perianal abscess which had to be drained. I was put in hospital a day before a weekend break to Prague! Luckily I had travel insurance!

And only last week I was again in hospital for 4 days due to a stricture in my abdomen. Again I was put on Hydrocortizone and Im doing ok now.

Currently im on 50 mg of Prednisolone, Pentasa, Azathioprine and Cyprofloxacin.

I should be going on Humira soon. Im just waiting to hear the results from my TB check.

Doing everything I can to keep the bloating away because of the Pred. The acne on my face is the worst at the moment!

afidz

Super Moderator
Hello and welcome!
Sorry to hear about the hospital trip, hope your feeling better. What meds have you been on since your DX?
Humira worked great for me, I went into remission in 2009 and it lasted about 3 and half years. I am going to be starting it again hopefully soon. Everyone is different but I hope it works great for you.

Hi afidz!

Thanks.

Im on the following meds:

- 225 mg Azathioprine for the approx 2 years
- 4 mg Pentasa granuals for approx 2 years
- Pred 50 mg for the last week
- Ciprofloxacin (spelling?) for about 6 months. This is because of my abscess but I should be coming off this soon.

Good to hear about Humira. Although didnt realise it could come back again! Sorry to hear about that. I was under the impression from the Dr that it could completely get rid of it. But I guess the key word is "could"! But as you say everyone is different.

afidz

Super Moderator
Crohn's is for life. People can go through periods of remission, length of time varies. It is important to get annual visits with your doctor if you are in a state of remission to make sure everything is still ok. Crohn's can act silently and do a lot of damage with out anyone realizing it, and going to the doctor regularly can help detect flares. Hope this bit of info helps, happy to answer any questions to the best of my ability if you have anymore :)

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
There is no such thing as "could". There is no cure for Crohn's. It is a chronic disease which means at this point in medical science the only option is to try and get it into remission for as long as possible. remission varies for all. Some people can go without symptoms for YEARS. Others can only manage to keep them at bay for a few weeks to a few months at a time.

What Is Crohn's Disease?

Maintenance medication and a healthy lifestyle are more likely to put you into and prolong periods of remission. Unfortunately as I said before nothing is guaranteed as, like afidz said, it can also quietly cause damage without you knowing which is why it is imperative that you have routine checkups with your GI.