• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hey guys! New guy joining the "club"

So yeah, I was diagnosed back in 2015, but at that time they said it was something minor, that could be healed. But since the first doctor was never on point with his schedule, I changed, and did a new battery of exams. Now, I clearly have Crohn's, and for two months now I have been fighting this bitch.

Right now, I think I'm ok whenever I'm rested. I'm picky with restrooms, so I even cross the street from my school a local market when I have to!
I feel some pain whenever I walk too much or get excited, but things are getting better. I was a real sloth before my diagnosis, but now, I really want to go out and explore, which is odd. One thing that encourages me to exercise is a game called "Ingress" for smartphones, a game based on location and GPS. It's pretty neat.

On medication... Jesus, I'm thankful my family in general is well off. Mesalazine and Prednisone are the "main" medication, and we always have some Buscopan (painkiller) so I don't need to stay put in a Hospital for a minor flare-up.

I'm joining this forum, I don't know, to cheer me up? I'm not sure about it, since sometimes I just can't join my friends to do stuff. I'm 19yrs old, so people at my age, where I live, enjoy booze a lot. I wish I could to have some fun with them. but I hope to learn a lot to get better.

Welcome. You will find this a very supportive group. I have ingress on my phone but have never tried it. Looking forward to hearing more of your story.

scottsma

Hi and welcome.Sorry you have to be here but it's a great forum for advice,support and friendship.I admire your upbeat attitude,it's so refreshing.
We have a "Young Adults" thread which I'm sure you'll find most helpful.
All the very best for your future.

fuzzy butterfly

Hi and welcome.. sorry for your need to be here tho..
We are here to help advise and support each other. To learn from each other and have a laugh to cheer ourselves up.
Please feel free to join in, dont be shy or worried about asking anything.. we dont judge,just help as best we can.
Best wishes 💕

Lady Organic

Staff member
Hi Tetzera and welcome!

Thank you for you testimony, made me smile a few times ;)

Has your GI talked about taking other medication (purinethol, Imuran, Remicade, Humira?)
Prednisone is not meant to be used often over the years.
Mesalazine doesnt seem to keep you in remission.
Going up and down in flares is not good management of crohn's disease. Everytime we are in a flare, we risk complications and extra-intestinal manifestion, there is also to consider the long term possible complications of chronic gut inflammation.
I really encourage you to discuss with your GI of choice of other medication in hope to keep you in full long term remission.

Wishing you well!

Thanks everyone for the replies!

@scottsma

I'm going through the forums right now to find it.

@Lady Organic

I'm really just starting this. So I understand that the doctor right now doesn't want to jump to new medication, and neither do I, to be honest. But I did ask him, and he said that there is medication that are stronger, but my immune system would weaken. It would not be the right thing to do right now, we believe, considering I should get some weight back and there's a H1N1 "crisis" in Brazil right now.

But I would like to thank you for posting your advice!

Their are ways to reverse auto-immune disease, or find remission, spend some time each day researching, learn nutrition it's your best ally. One is called auto immune protocol or AIP for short. Yeah, drinking, those days are done, you don't need it, inflammatory foods are a big no-no for me. Many who have been in your situation (younger) ended up going to school to become healers, in part to help themselves but in all their suffering they wanted to help others, which can be rewarding.

Start a notebook or online document to document progress and in my case fallbacks.

It is good that you are active, keep at it.