• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hey, ladies.

hey, ladies.

this is about Mesalamine/Asacol affecting my menstrual cycle....

my periods were very irregular before i went on the pill. they were always light to normal in flow, just all over the place. never knew when to expect it! after the pill, periods were normal and very light! glorious :D after a pill switch, however, my periods were a lot longer than usual (used to be 1-3 days long, went to 3-7 days long!) frustrating. but still alright...

when i went on Mesalamine/Asacol in June of last year, i had some spotting. (this was about two weeks after first starting the medication) i had never ever in my life had spotting between periods before. especially since i was on birth control, i thought it was strange. i was not pregnant. the spotting lasted two weeks until i got my period. then everything was fine. i've had this spotting about 3 or 4 times now since starting the meds. only the one really long bout, though. my periods have also gotten pretty heavy. i used to be a lite tampon to regular tampon girl. now i have to use super and wear a panty liner because there's usually leakage after 3-4 hours. it's crazy!

have any of you ladies experienced this while taking Mesalamine/Asacol??? i have my annual with my gyno early next month, i'm going to be asking her if she knows anything....

I'm on Apriso, which is the same type of medicine as Asacol and a mesalamine enema (also same meds as Asacol) and it has never effected my period. I recently started using a steroid cream, I have still not had my period and it is 2-3 weeks late. I have taken 2 preg. tests and I am not pregnant. I think that medicines respond differently in different people. It certainly could be from the meds.

Hi, i don't have any experience with Mesalamine/Asacol, but I was on Apo-Azothioprine for 1yr & 1/2, then the pharmacy switched it to Teva-Azothioprine..They told me it was the exact same, just generic, blah, blah...I took it for 3 days & ended up on my period for 1 & 1/2 months straight!!! I finally got the doctor to get them to switch it back, as they wouldn't..even though they switched it without my or my doc's permission...Now I am not to have any generic brand...oh & I am still on the pill as well...

i'm on azathioprine, too....interesting. i don't know what "kind", though. maybe that's the connection and i didn't realize it? i can't remember when i started azathioprine, if it was before or after spotting.....

thank you!!