• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hi all - Last week I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease

Hi everyone - I am so glad i found this forum. Last week I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease. The gastrointestinal doctor prescribed Entocort for 6 to 8 weeks to reduce inflammation, and also prescribed Mercaptopurine (6MP) as a long term treatment. Doc said I'd probably have to take the Mercaptopurine (6MP) for the rest of my life.

Mercaptopurine (6MP) is a immunosuppressant drug and it scares the hell out of me. From reading up on this drug it appears serious side effects are common with most people taking this drug. The drug precautions say i cannot even floss my teeth due to risk of infection, plus a bunch of other really serious potential side-effects and it only has a 50% chance of working to help my Crohn's.

My Crohn's is not severe and there is not much damage at this point. The doctor said I have 1 or 2 inches of inflammation where my small intestine meets the large intestine, although based on what I feel inside I'd say it is more like 5 inches. An MRI shows no blockages. Based on my symptoms I have probably had Crohn's for about 3 years. I am in my late 50's. I am thinking I'd rather risk a bowel resection years down the road rather than taking Mercaptopurine (6MP) and risking all the serious side effects from this drug.

Are any of you guys taking Mercaptopurine (6MP)? If so, what has been your experience with this drug?

Here's my history leading up to the diagnosis:

I had some mild soreness in my lower abdominal that would come and go for about 3 years (groin right side extending up extreme right side about 5 inches). I thought it was muscle pain, and after 3 years I mentioned it to my family doctor and he thought I may have hernia. I went to a surgeon about getting the hernia repaired and he did a stool blood test and found blood traces in my stool. My stools look normal to me and I've never noticed blood. I rarely have diarrhea. Surgeon did a colonoscopy and saw the inflammation located where the small intestines meets large intestines, which is the same spot I felt the soreness. Surgeon sent me to a gastrointestinal doctor. Gastro doc did an MRI, Prometheus blood workup, and a iron blood test. Gastro doc also viewed colonoscopy results.

-Doc says MRI shows inflammation consistent with Crohn's
-Doc says colonoscopy results shows inflammation consistent with Crohn's
-Biopsy taken during colonoscopy shows no evidence of bacterial infection or virus
-Prometheus blood workup said results more leaning toward Ulcerative Colitis (doc says this is wrong because Ulcerative Colitis affects large intestines and my inflammation is in small intestines)
-Iron in blood was normal (doc says this is good because it means my intestines are working adequately extracting nutrients)

Note: there is zero history of Crohn's in my family.

I started Enocort 9mg a day 3 days ago and the soreness seems to be reduced about 50% in 3 days. I am not sure at this point if I am going to take 6MP. I am researching to try to find a doctor or clinic that is an expert in the Crohn's field.

Thank you all for any help you can offer.

We have a section in this forum called Treatment. We have a subforums for 6 MP. They might be . it might be of some help to you.

Hi 57Strat! I too didn't want to take any of the scary meds for Crohn's when I was diagnosed. I went through many flare ups taking prednisone and Entocort(both affecting my bone health) during those times. Looking back I really should have been more proactive in my treatment; now I am facing a bowel resection. You don't want to be in this situation, now I will have a 50% chance of have to have another bowel surgery in the future. If I could go back in time I think I would have started on Remicade or Humira to reduce the damage(I have narrowing strictures). I think my advice would is to be proactive in your treatment. Yes the drugs are scary but so is the damage that Crohn's can do. If you don't want to start 6MP there are other meds out there you can try. Definitely get a good experienced Crohn's doctor.

Hi 57Strat! I too didn't want to take any of the scary meds for Crohn's when I was diagnosed. I went through many flare ups taking prednisone and Entocort(both affecting my bone health) during those times. Looking back I really should have been more proactive in my treatment; now I am facing a bowel resection. You don't want to be in this situation, now I will have a 50% chance of have to have another bowel surgery in the future. If I could go back in time I think I would have started on Remicade or Humira to reduce the damage(I have narrowing strictures). I think my advice would is to be proactive in your treatment. Yes the drugs are scary but so is the damage that Crohn's can do. If you don't want to start 6MP there are other meds out there you can try. Definitely get a good experienced Crohn's doctor.
Eridon, I had a resection in 2010 for a bowel obstruction. With what you just said does this mean I might face another surgery?

However, these papers are a little old and don't take into account the biologics on the market now.

"approximately 75% of Crohn’s disease patients require intestinal surgery for complications resulting from strictures, penetrating disease, and abscesses.1-3 Postoperative recurrence of Crohn’s disease is common. Surgical resection is not curative, and postoperative histologic recurrence in macroscopically normal intestine has been reported as early as 1 week.4 Endoscopic evidence of disease recurrence is present in 70–90% of patients within 1 year of intestinal resection.5,6 Symptomatic clinical recurrence is seen in one third of patients at 3 years and in 60% of patients at 10 years."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2886401/