• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hi crohns sufferer

:poo:Hi I've just joined... I've had crohns for 12 years. I had a bowel resection in 2002 as I had a stricture in my small bowel. They removed part of my small bowel and the ileum. Was pain free for about 18 months after op. But have had to use the loo 10 plus xs daily ever since. Have been up and down with symptoms for years ie. Bloating, passing blood and mucus tender right hand pain tiredness!! Have been on and off steroids and was put on azathioprine couple of months ago and thought I was feeling really well! Ended up with bowel blockage and spent 4 days in hospital. I have inflammation at the site of the resection and a stricture starting again! On steroids at mo...... I HATE THEM!!!! Seeing doc in couple of weeks and he is talking about starting me on :sign0085:Infliximab an anti tnf agent?? Has anyone had any success on this?? I'm scared stiff!!!

Hi Kazzercam and welcome to the forums...:)
I am sorry to hear that you are having problems again after 18 months...
I have no experience about which you talk..but I am sure someone will be along soon to help.
Just wanted to welcome you to our corner of cyber space.

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi and welcome! I am sorry that the inflammation is back. I personally don't have any experience with Remicade, but I know it has done wonders for so many. I suggest checking out the Remicade subforum. I think you'll find it helpful.

Good luck with your new treatment plan!

David

Co-Founder
Greetings and welcome :)

In addition to what was said above, would be be willing to elaborate on this:
tender right hand pain tiredness
You have right hand pain and are always tired? Or am I reading that wrong.

And have you had your vitamin B12 levels checked?

Greetings and welcome :)

In addition to what was said above, would be be willing to elaborate on this:

You have right hand pain and are always tired? Or am I reading that wrong.

And have you had your vitamin B12 levels checked?

Hi thanks for your reply. Yes have right hand pain, this is the area of bowel that has always been affected. Had colonoscopy in July which shows a stricture in the areas which have been resected after surgery. I do suffer with fatigue I have regular blood tests so I assume that they are checking my b12?.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Hi there :welcome: I have had two resections but my first was good for 8 years. I am on b12 shots monthly, some have it bi weekly depends on your deficiency. Some have low iron or thyrold problems. Autoimmune disease brings out more problems than just IBD.

Your rection could be scar tissue and nothing medically can fix it. Strictures can mean it came back too. My second resection was in 2003 and never got into remission.

What maintenance drugs were you on after surgery? :hang:

David

Co-Founder
I do suffer with fatigue I have regular blood tests so I assume that they are checking my b12?.
Not necessarily and quite often no. If you're suffering from fatigue, I would strongly suggest asking them if they have been testing your B12 and get it checked if they have not.

Hi there :welcome: I have had two resections but my first was good for 8 years. I am on b12 shots monthly, some have it bi weekly depends on your deficiency. Some have low iron or thyrold problems. Autoimmune disease brings out more problems than just IBD.

Your rection could be scar tissue and nothing medically can fix it. Strictures can mean it came back too. My second resection was in 2003 and never got into remission.

What maintenance drugs were you on after surgery? :hang:
Hi thank you very much for telling me your story. Sorry to hear you have had 2 resections. How are you now? I fear I'm heading for my 2nd op. Too! I have been on prednisolone and azathioprine on and off since surgery. I'm currently on 35 mg of pred and am seeing my consultant on the 17th to go back on azathioprine and discuss inflimab??

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Since my second..on and off but trying to avoid a 3rd resection as I know it will just come back...and most likely sooner. Pred is s medicine most of us avoid , it is a miracle bandaid but.. there are consequences to being on it especially high or long term doses. I can't take most meds now, been on too many and they didnt work. Remicade (inflixamab) helps so many and I was extremely allergic or reacted to it. I would say is your best recourse but like I say scar tissue built up wont be helped. That is my opinion been there done that.

I have my good days and bad, but I have had this disease so long I dont know what is normal anymore :lol: keep us posted on what the outcome is on the 17th , I for one am curious. Good luck.