• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hi everyone

hey everyone,
I am a 31 yr old woman I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease at the age of 21, a week ago i was taken to the emergency ward, come to find after testing that I had diverticuilitis.

I was quite shocked because after reading about the disease, I have all the signs I just dont fit the age of when a person should get it.
I guess what i am looking for is some advice - is there a chance that I have been misdiagnosed with the wrong disease all these years, I have never felt like i had Crohn's, I have never had to do surgery for the Crohn's and so on, alot of people i read that have Crohn's seemed to have alot of problems, I just the usual diahorrea, conspitation, pain, wind, cant eat etc.

If anyone has advice or opinions that would be great would love to hear from you.

Hi Princesssammy! Welcome to the forum. I too am not a doctor, but it seems to me that you could have had acute diverticulitis that masked the signs of Crohn's Disease, and there for have both. As for being diagnosed at " a
the wrong age" that is just the luck of the draw. For any disease, the age of onset is what usually occurs, but there are always outliers.

Do you have a GI doctor? You need to find a doctor that you can really talk to and trust to evaluate your symptoms and determin how to treat them. If you have not had a colonoscopy I would guess that you will have one soon. That can help nail down a diagnosis, and begin to nail down where in your system your Crohns is located.

I hope that you are able to feel better soon. Good luck and keep us posted.
Lisa

David

Co-Founder
Welcome to the community, I'm glad you found your way here :)

How were you diagnosed with Crohn's disease? Via a colonoscopy and biopsy? And how were you subsequently diagnosed with diverticulitis? A CT Scan?

All my best to you.

I was diagnosed with a colonscopy, i have had 3 in the 10 yrs, i remember the drs saying my large bowel is a quite good.my last colonscopy was bit dirty i was unable to empty all my bowels with the formula they give to you so I dont know if that is any help.

I have always said to my dr I only get pain on my lower left side otherwise i am not in pain anywhere else. they found i had diverticulitis via at ct scan with contrast in the emergency ward.
They have now put me on a low residue diet for 6 weeks, one to help my bowels heal and to not have so much to get rid of for my colonscopy.
I asked the dr at the hospital is it possible to have both or have i been told i had the wrong disease.
I know i have the signs for Crohn's but i have never felt like i had it, it has never been controlled and some foods would set me off no matter of what meds i was taking.

well basically I started on steroids, than i went to Imuran which affected my liver so they took me off it, they went on to 6-MP that didnt agree either so i was back on steroids and now am on humira.

Thats basically all that has been happening in regards to medicine

David

Co-Founder
Maybe you have both but my guess is you do indeed have Crohn's disease. But in the end, if you're not comfortable with your diagnosis, get another opinion from a GI who can have a new pathologist check your old biopsies.