• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hi everyone :)

Hi everyone,
I've been a long time reader of the site and always found it helpful in answering my questions so finally decided to sign up and introduce myself.

I've suffered from bowel troubles for as long as I remember, but my first major 'flare' was in May 2010. I suddenly developed horrendous, constant diarrhoea and vomiting out of nowhere. I have suffered from anxiety and panic attacks for over ten years so when I saw my GP, I was told this was the cause. I didn't entirely agree with her diagnosis of anxiety induced IBS but went with it anyway. My flare continued for over three weeks, during which I lost almost 20 pounds and was unable to keep anything down other than small amounts of a meal replacement drink. This episode really knocked me for six and I felt the repercussions of it for a month or two afterwards.

After this flare, I went back to "normal", suffering from the occasional flare every few months but nothing like the first. About 3 months ago things got worse, I was suffering from almost constant bloody diarrhoea, agonising stomach cramps, a continuous pain on the left lower side of my abdomen, a hugely distended painful stomach after eating and general joint pains, exhaustion and I also developed an anal abscess. I visited my GP again and was again told it was IBS and to think about reducing stress and altering my diet! So I decided to try another GP who has been much more supportive.

So far I've had blood tests showing an elevated white blood count and a flexible sigmoidoscopy showing patchy inflammation and some ulcers. Biopsies taken at this time also demonstrated non-specific inflammation. My GP has said he's pretty confident its IBD but wants to check a stool sample to 100% rule out infection before referring me to a GI doctor. So hopefully, I'll get some concrete answers soon! Currently, my symptoms seem to have subsided more of less, just suffering from some abdominal pain, cramps upon bowel movements and urgency issues, but I know that it won't be for long.

So that's my story so far. Otherwise, I live in Liverpool, UK and work in healthcare. I completed my masters degree in health psychology last year (focusing on acute and chronic pain, in particular techniques to reduce the likelihood of the development of persistent post-surgical pain after surgical interventions) and I'm hoping to start a PhD later this year :)

Rebecca

Hi Rebecca

Your research sounds great! I did a PhD in film, best thing I ever did. I still get a thrill out of being called Dr, although my research has no practical application unlike yours. :)

Hi Rebecca, welcome to the forum :) This place has been a lifeline for me since I was diagnosed a few weeks ago. My story sounds quite similar to yours in some way. I was suffering with similar symptoms for 10 years and was repeatedly told by my GP that it was anxiety and stress and all in my head. She used to tell me to meditate and I would be fine! An MRI last month finally revealed inflammation in my Terminal ileum so she couldn't have been more wrong!

Your studies sounds really interesting! Good luck with your PhD :) I always planned to complete one myself, unfortunately it has all been put on hold thanks to this horrid illness but hopefully one day I can pursue it again.

Just wanted to introduce myself anyway as a fellow Brit :)

Hi Rebecca, welcome to the forum :) This place has been a lifeline for me since I was diagnosed a few weeks ago. My story sounds quite similar to yours in some way. I was suffering with similar symptoms for 10 years and was repeatedly told by my GP that it was anxiety and stress and all in my head. She used to tell me to meditate and I would be fine! An MRI last month finally revealed inflammation in my Terminal ileum so she couldn't have been more wrong!

Your studies sounds really interesting! Good luck with your PhD :) I always planned to complete one myself, unfortunately it has all been put on hold thanks to this horrid illness but hopefully one day I can pursue it again.

Just wanted to introduce myself anyway as a fellow Brit :)
If I can do a PHD, so can you! Don't delay it for too long. Remember you can always ask for time out from a PhD for medical reasons. :)

Hi Rebecca, your story is very similar to mine. I am also waiting for a diagnosis which hopefully won't be too long now. Currently in bed with hot water bottle, anti sickness pills, painkillers and rubbish tv! Hope u get your diagnosis soon. I'm so glad I found this forum as it's filled with fantastic info. I only know one person who has crohns but he is very negative and doesn't look after himself so I don't like to take any advice from him as everyone is so different...I am a positive person and would simply like to make myself feel better!

Suzi x