• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hi from a college student!

Hi ya'll. My name is Adam and I'm from near St. Louis. I am 23 now and was diagnosed about 10 years ago. Started with the usual symptoms and then a colonoscopy and diagnosis. I'm on a variety of meds, and my symptoms are mostly under control. I would say I have a successful life post diagnosis! I was always an athlete and was lucky enough / worked hard enough to get myself a division 1 track scholarship. When most people see me they cant believe I have Crohns.. I'm 6'1" and 260 pounds! I can't be too upset with my circumstances lol. The one thing I truly despise about this disease is something quite personal to me. I can deal with the meds and the occasional flare up, that just comes with the territory. Unfortunately, I always wanted to join the military.. It runs in the family. My father is retired air force, his dad a marine, my mom's dad a retired Chief in the air force. I have cousins in the military, and at any give time I can have 5 or more friends from high school over seas. That one part of the disease really breaks my heart. I keep exploring my options, and maybe just maybe one day I'll be able to finally achieve that goal.
Sorry for the long introduction, and thanks for reading!
Adam

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi and welcome to the forum, Adam!

I am glad to hear you are doing so well - hooray!

If the military is not an option due to your Crohn's, perhaps you can pursue another career that serves your country and community. Regardless of what path you decide to take, I hope you continue to feel well and enjoy each day!

I've gone through a few parts of the forum and I have to say, it is amazing being able to contribute any information I can to people who are having problems or simply have questions. I look forward to contributing as much as possible in the future!

Tesscorm

Staff member
Hi Adam,

Welcome to the forum! It's great to hear successful stories like yours! With your fitness/athletic knowledge, I'm sure you'll be an invaluable source of information for many members!

I'm sorry that Crohn's has kept you from your career goals so far but, as Jill mentioned, I too hope that you will find a comparable career that will prove just as challenging and satisfying!

Look forward to seeing you around! :)

Angrybird

Hello Adam and welcome to the forum :bigwave: I am glad that you are doing so well. Can you confirm what meds you are on? I am just a bit nosy on what has been able to get you to this good place. Also are you on any vitamin supplements? Do you follow any particular type of diet? I am sorry that you cannot pursue your ideal career but as the others has mentioned perhaps there is still something out there for someone like you who wants to do some good. Really pleased you have joined us and hope to see you around and about the forum.