• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hi from a newbie

Hi, my name is Sylvie, a 39yr old mother of a 7yr old boy and 4yr old girl, also married with a very supportive husband.
I was diagnosed with crohn's in 2002. All started with a small painful mass on my inner butt cheek. Dr though it was a cyst, but during the procedure to remove it noticed there was more and figured it was a fistula. I had no other symptoms of crohn`s. No pain, no cramping, no irregularities. Was sent for a few tests, then a colonoscopy which diagnosed me with CD. Started on Pentesa, but mad me feel sick and crampy, so I stopped taking it. Went all fine for a little over 10years without meds, started my little family and all was great. I even thought I was misdiagnosed and didn't go see my gastro Dr again. I would advise anyone not to to that ;)
Fastforward to a about 6 months ago. I've had noticed some changes. Felt some mild pain that wasn't familiar to me so got my family doctor to send a request to a new gastro doctor, where I waited nearly 6 months to get and appointment with. By coincidence, I had a first appointment Feb 6th, 2013, but on the night of Feb 1st, first date night with hubby without kids in months, if I may add, I went to bed early because I wasn't feeling right, then just woke up to the most horrible pain I've ever had to go through, and yes worse than going through labour. So, as hardheaded as I am, I just wanted to wait and see if it go away. 2 hours later, we ended up in ER. By 4am I was back home, and had a scheduled appointment for a CT scan. CT scan confirmed, by my new Gastro that was on duty that day, I have a small abscess on the ileum(sp?) So I was sent home with antibiotics, cipro and flagyl, and to go to my regular appointment on Feb 6th. Was still in pain, but had gotten better, so was just given a few weeks off work, and a recommendation to go on Remicade and a few more tests as I have a fistulating crohn's and old scar tissue on intestines from fistulas that healed themselves. The following week, I ended at ER again due to the same severe pain that started again. White blood cells were up, dehydrated from not having an appetite and no energy to get up an do much for myself and another CT scan showed that the abscess and inflammation worsened. Had a 2 week stay at hospital, on stronger antibiotics, prednisone and my first remicade treatment. I felt better a week into hospital, but the abscess wasn't going away, so they decided to put a drain to get rid of fluids from the abscess. So after a few days of telling them, nothing was draining, and I was in discomfort and pain from having a drain not doing anything, and being of pain meds that wasn't really helping much and not sleeping. So Finally Friday, exactly 2 weeks later, they took out the drain, put a dressing on, and instructed me to change it in a few days, sent me home with more antibiotics and pain meds and hoping they fixed the problem. Surgery had been discussed while I was at hospital, but played the wait and see game. So I was finally home with my family. Still in pain and discomfort, due to the drain, but they did all they could for the time being. So dilaudid was my only relief. On Sunday, I figured I'd change the dressing, and as I did, pus just oozed out of the area, but gave me some relief, didn't hurt as much. I figured it was just leftover pus they didn't take out. So it kept doing the same thing over again and wasn't getting better, and getting more painful. Ended up with 3 other trips at the ER that week, but so one seemed to concerned, just sent me home with more Dilaudid and another antibiotics. By this time, it was Easter weekend, so I did the best I could for the weekend, on pain meds not really enjoying family time and had an appointment scheduled on Tuesday with the surgeon, which was the only Dr that followed me available that week for the ER Dr to make an appointment. During the weekend, I noticed food particles coming out in the pus in the drainage area. As soon as she saw that, she had me to come in the morning for admission, more scans and surgery. So Here I am now, 2 days post op, a small section surrounding the abscess was taken out, so a small part of small and large intestine was taken out. Surgeon said it was done just in time before anything could of gone worse. She described my insides getting toxic and had to do a lot of cleaning, plus I had a high fever during surgery. I'm still in a lot of pain, but should get better as the days go by. I still have 5-7 days in Hospital, still not eating, and not even ready or feel the urge to eat. But sure all will come in time.

Sorry for the book, I even left some details out ;)

So that's my story, and please, disregard my spelling, I just don't have the energy to review.

PS: I didn't believe in meds, and wanted to stay natural as much as possible. I guess my healthy organic eating habits didn't keep the Doctors away in the long run. So don't refuse meds is you need them :)

while you may not be able to eat, try some chicken broth or veggie broth, so you at least are getting some nutrition. You cannot rob your body, while on meds, or you can add to your troubles. Sorry to hear you went through all of this. Sounds like you are on the road to recovery; albeit a bumpy one! Feel better soon!

Hi Silvie A & welcome to the forum:

You certainly have been through one long journey, but I am glad your surgery went well and that you are now on the road to recovery. My daughter has Crohns and has taken many of the same meds that you have taken (prednisone, cipro, flagyl & Remicade). Has your GI told you what medications you will be taking after you are discharged from the hospital? Do you take any vitamins along with your meds? Vitamin therapy can be as effective as prescribed medication often times, therefore, you may want to consider adding vitamin supplements to your daily routine once you are home.

I wish you a speedy recovery and please keep us posted on your progress.

Lisa :dog:

Thank you for your support, both of you :)

Mikey, thanks for the reminder, I have some good frozen homemade chicken "bone"broth at home. I'll have to get hubby to bring me some, because the stuff they have here at hospital doesn't have much in it nutrition wise, looks like campbells cup a soup type of stuff LOL. And get some good probiotic yogurt.

Lisa, sorry your daughter has to go through this, I know I'd be upset if I had to see one of my kids suffer, even more than myself. Hope she's doing well.
I'll be continuing Remicade when I'm out of here, looks like the only meds prescribed, and will be tapering prednisone out. I do take fish oil capsules, containing mostly omega-3, can't remember the amount I take, 2000unit of Vit D, and probiotics, not sure of the amount either. Is there anything else recommended. I guess I could go read some more posts on here. Looks like there's loads of info here :) Not sure why I didn't join sooner.

I'm still in lots of pain today, had loads of swelling and hives last night. So looks like I reacted to the pump system they had me on for pain meds. I was on dilaudid, but changed to morphine injections which is milder. They gave me something last night after begging and telling them it just didn't look or feel right. I could barely bend my knees, couldn't even form a tight fist with my hand, and looked like I had just gone under some sort of face lift and filling procedure, just round, red and puffy. I didn't even recognize myself in the mirror.
Not sure if all nurses and doctors are like that, but I've been feeling like they ignore any of my requests, or concerns. You almost have to brake down into tears to take you seriously. I know they have to deal with demanding people, but still, I know my body and can feel and see when something isn't right.

Hi Sylvie:

It just made me want to cry when I read your post and saw what a terrible night you had last night and the fact that you are being ignored by the nursing staff is unacceptable. My daughter and I are not pushy people, but when it comes to her health, I push back and I push hard & that is the advice I offer to you now. When you know something is wrong, do not settle for your nurses nonchalant attitude. This is your health and if you are concerned with how your body is reacting to the meds you are on, be very vocal and keep bugging them until they take notice and do something and/or call the doctor in so that he can assess what changes need to be made. Having your face and entire body swell so quickly is a sign that you are severely allergic to something and that needs to be addressed right now! Please hound them all day if you have to in order to ensure that they take action to change your treatment plan immediately as you should never have to suffer through another night like last night ever again. Please promise me you will do that, okay?

About the vitamins, it is good that you are taking Vitamin D3 supplements, however, you are not taking nearly enough. Have you had your Vitamin D levels tested? Ask you doctor to test your Vitamin D levels the next time they draw your blood. When you get your results back, your Vitamin D level should be in the range of 50-100 ng/nl, but if you are only taking 2,000 IUs of D3 a day, I can almost guarantee that your are severely deficient in Vitamin D and that deficiency will cause your Crohns symptoms to be more severe. I highly recommend that you pickup the book by Dr. Michael Holick called "The Vitamin D Solution" as it was a true eye opener for me and showed me how closely related Vitamin D deficiency is related to Crohns Disease. You will come to see that you need to significantly increase your Vitamin D3 intake in order to achieve remission. You need to take 5,000 to 10,000 IUs of Vitamin D3 everyday and probably much more than that, but increasing your dosage to this level is a good start and it is a very safe dosage for everyone, but it is important that you take various cofactors with the D3, like Folic Acid, Magnesium & Zinc. If you checkout the following string, you can learn more about vitamin therapy: http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?p=627519#post627519

I am not a doctor, Sylvie, therefore, please know that everything I share with you is just my own opinion, however, my daughter has severe Crohns and I have made it my mission in life to find a way which will allow her to control her symptoms naturally and from all of the research I have done, I have found that obtaining and maintaining a sufficient Vitamin D level is the key to her, and your, success in managing your illness.

Please keep us updated on how things go for you today, Sylvie, and know that the Crohns community is here for you whenever you need us.

Lisa :ghug:

Hi Sylvie, I am so sorry that you have to experience any of this. It seems crazy to me that no one was more concerned after so many trips to the ER. I live in Quebec... i have no clue how the NB health care system works... but i feel like this is something that occurs frequently. Anyways, important thing is .. you've been taken care of before it could get any worse. I haven't had to deal with the same symptoms... i have had a fissure and fistula and it is soooo painful... i hate the thought of anyone having to deal with anything similar and can't imagine worse. (Began remicade in Jan 2013...and it's helped me a great deal in that area) I totally understand your desire to stay as natural as possible and avoid meds as much as possible... i struggled with that a great deal... Took a while to accept, but i figured, if for now this is what my body needs, let's just do it and i have been REALLY glad to have some sort of quality of life that resembles normal. It's not easy to accept... I do have one suggestion for you: Juicing. For the longest time i had no appetite whatsoever, and the thought of a bowel movement and the pain really scared me. And i'm the type of person who cannot function if i'm the least bit hungry. The malnutrition was really affecting my daily everything. Mood, concentration, strength etc...and juicing has become my solution. It's natural, fills me up, gives my gut a break and gives me the nutrition i need. There are few really interesting threads on here, i definitely suggest you look into it. Sending good vibes and strength your way. Take care :)

Hi,
SoOoO CoNfuSeD, I must say that I'm not very impressed with the hospital. Especially ER doctors. I should look into juicing. It seems like a lot of work and expensive though. Our grocery bill already runs high because we try to eat all organic. I'll be planting a garden soon though, if I can get better.

Just a little update, been very tired and low energy, so not been doing as much reading and research as I'd want to. I got back home from Hospital Thursday night, 8 days after surgery. My incision has been leaking though, started 5days after surgery, and it's still leaking a redish brown liquid, no one seemed worried about it and just said it was a build up of fluids and it's best that it comes out. Not sure anyone here experienced that. I think I over did it yesterday, just being home made me want to just do light things. Like making myself lunch, tidy whatever wasn't heavy in the kitchen, so I didn't strain doing what I was doing. But today, I have more pain than usual, taking pain meds, but doesn't do much for me. Just hoping everything is ok

I'm back at the hospital. I have a fistula that formed when the intestines were reconnected. The fistula made it's way to the surgical wound and started seeping out from it. They had to instal a temporary stoma to leak into, and they took me off food and liquids. I have a pick line installed, and getting all nutrients, fats through it. I'll probably be off food and liquid for weeks or until the intestines start healing. They are hoping that with antibiotics and intravenous feeding will help heel the fistula and will help the intestines to fuse back together. If not, I'll be getting another surgery in about 6-8 weeks. There's way to much inflammation going on now to touch anything. Now off to look for some topics on here to see if anyone went through something similar.

So sorry you are back in the hospital, SylvieA. Since inflammation is a major issue, when you are looking around the forum, check out conversations about Vitamin D3 and cofactors like folic acid, magnesium & zinc as these supplements are known for reducing inflammation. Also, checkout the Vitamin D Council website. I am sending you wishes for a speedy recovery!