• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hi from a recent not-lurker :)

Hi everyone. First of all, thank you for keeping this forum going :ysmile:. This forum was one of the first really comforting information sources I found out there. It was great to hear that I wasn’t the only one confused and scared about what it means to have a chronic lifelong disease. I just wasn’t brave enough to own up to it yet. So here goes. :ack:

I was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease a little over a year ago, though I'd been having too-painful-to-walk stomachaches for about four years. I’d been to the emergency room twice, and both times I’d been sent home with no explanation for the pain. They just couldn’t figure it out.

I tried to be strong and didn’t allow myself to “whine” over “just a stomachache,” because I didn’t think anyone would take me seriously. When the pain got so bad that I couldn’t walk, I came up with elaborate excuses to skip class, work, or my friend’s invitations to hang out because I thought if I said I had a stomachache people wouldn’t believe me. They’d think I was just making up excuses. So I started playing a lot of online games to fill all the lonely time.

If there's one good thing that came of all this, it's that I'm now spending more time with my family, and that becoming a gamer girl introduced me to my future husband :) (getting married in December! :heart:).

I probably would have kept on living my life like that, but in the summer of 2011 my brother got diagnosed with Crohn’s disease. He’d been having stomachaches for months. And for months I’d been telling him to stop being such a sissy, it’s just a stomachache, deal with it. It sounds really horrible now, knowing that he was suffering from stomach ulcers, but when I think about it, I feel sad for myself too. After all, that’s what I’d been doing for years and years.

Long story short, my parents got paranoid about everyone’s stomachaches and sent me and one of my sisters to do bloodwork and colonoscopies. We both came back positive for Crohn’s, too. Our family just got really lucky that way.

Well, it turns out that a lot of Crohn’s Disease patients have stories like mine. Why is that? Why do doctors and hospitals not know how to recognize signs of IBS, Crohn’s, or UC? My brother entered remission about three months after diagnosis and treatment with Imuran and Pentasa. He started working out and eating healthy, and now feels better than he ever has in his life – and looks great, too. My sister has only just now started treatment, and it’s looking good.

A year and a half later, I’m still waiting for my happy ending. How long does it usually take to reach remission? How many treatments do I have to go through? After 8 months of Remicade, my bloodwork returns pristine, but I still have painful stomachaches. My doctor says that over my four years of untreated ulcers, I may have developed some difficult scar tissue, or Fibrostenotic Crohn's. Has anyone else had this happen? What tests can confirm that there is scar tissue? We’re starting to talk surgery - and I really don't like that idea.

Angrybird

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

Unfortunately with this disease as you have found with your brother and sister that everyone is different in how it behaves ans what will work to get it settled so there is no rule on how long it will take to reach remission. With regards to scar tissue it usually takes something like a colonoscopy and or MRI to determine if this is present and the severity of it. Meds unfortunately cannot do anything to help with this so surgery of some type is usually needed at some point. Do you notice whether the stomach aches get worse depending on what you eat?

AB
xx

NB Congratulations on the wedding! :)

David

Co-Founder
Hi StrawberryRain and welcome to the community. I'm sure you're glad your siblings are doing well but it must be so frustrating that you aren't responding as much. I'm so sorry you're having to go through this :(

Determining whether strictures are due to inflammation or scarring can be tough. MRE are ok at it but colonoscopy is better if it can reach the affected area. If the stricturing doesn't respond to medications, that's obviously an indication that it may be more to scar tissue as well. If there is indeed scarring and it's significant enough, surgery usually is the best route though I can understand why you don't like that :(

Where specifically is your pain? Are you experiencing symptoms besides pain? What medications have you tried thus far?

All my best to you :)

SarahBear

Welcome to the forum, StrawberryRain!

I'm sorry you and your siblings have had to go through this - but it's great that you're all getting treatment now. What area of the digestive tract is your Crohn's in?

As for your question about doctors and hospitals not recognizing the signs of IBD… it's tricky to recognize. There are so many possible signs and symptoms that Crohn's is different for everyone who has it. Sometimes they do suspect it, and suggest the patient see a GI or refer them to one. Unfortunately though, there's only so much that emergency room doctors can do and see in the time frame they treat you. ER doctors can be pretty hit or miss - sometimes you get a good one and sometimes you don't.

:hug: I hope you feel better soon, and congratulations on the upcoming wedding. :)

Wow, so many questions. mmmh. I had two affected areas, both of which according to my MRI and bloodwork are cleared up. Right now the pain starts upper-left side, right under the ribcage, and lasts a few hours before moving down to the lower left side. That's on a really bad day. So long as I eat little amounts and avoid dairy/high fiber things, I seem to do better.

Mostly I'm trying to figure out if surgery is right for me. It's hard to put my trust in someone I hardly know - my doctor - I always wish I had studied pre-med instead of English, so at least I'd loosely be able to interpret my test results and judge the situation. As it is, all I can do is hope that other people are doing their job well. It's scary...