• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hi from a scared Paul..

Hi everyone, I've been pretty ill over the last 2 months, I've had severe adnominal pain in the upper quadrants of my abdo. I've been prisoned to my house and only just turning a corner.
Let me give you a breif history, I've always had problems with loose muscus bowel movements 10-15 times a time, the docs put it down to IBS, I learnt to live with it and refused several endoscopy's over the years. At the beginning of the year I was admitted to hospital with abdo pain and discharged with suspected pancreatistis. I was placed under a hematology consultant as there were concerns that previous heavy drinking may of caused it. I had a scan which showed a enlarged liver but luckily minimal scarring. Over the months my bowel movement have got more frequent and the tummy pains more frequent. A couple of months ago the pain was getting worse on a daily basis until one evening the pain was so bad my wife called for an ambulance. I was'nt in good shape I had a heart rate of 35 and decreasing and blood pressure through the roof, i remember the crew getting the cardiac arrest drugs ready, I thought my days were numbered. Luckily with the aid of alot of morphine and fluids my heart rate began to raise to 40-50bpm. I was taken into the Resus room at our local hospital (which is 1 hr away) where abdo x rays were taken to ensure there was no perferation, luckily not.
I was stabilised and taken to the Surgical receiving unit. On a previous visit to the doctor I done a stool sample, my pro tectin levels were 151 which I was told was high. Anyway back in the hospital the consultants wanted an endoscopy however could see I was way to ill for one to be performed. I was discharged with pain medication and mebervine.
When I felt a little better I was booked in for the endoscopy, I took the bowel prep (which wiped me out again) and had the endoscopy under sedation. Unfortunetely I had the stand in surgeon doing the endoscopy but was assured he knew what he was doing. Dispite the discomfort the camera managed to get to the terminal ileum. I had several biopsies taken including one from the ileum (I am awaiting results). Strangely enough the surgeon said my colon looked normal despite being bedridden for weeks prior.
My understanding was that the protectin test was designed to replace the endoscopy procedure? Would make sense as the patient is normally to fagile to under go a endoscopy during a flare up (With I believe I had).
I was glad no lumps or bumps were found though.
So here I am still with managable abdo pain awaiting the biopsy results. Cant eat much so having Complan to fill in the gaps. Been trying to eat fish that seem ok and dose'nt hurt like other foods such as boiled new potatoes..ouch!
I've been reading Manuka honey is good for these types of problems.
Another funny thing is I've been getting alot of kidney pain, my doc placed me on strong anti biotics as my bloods showed raised white blood cells. Been feel sick, not being able to do much activity, find it hard to bend down, toilet habit is all over the place at the moment due to the amont of codeine I'm taken for the pains. I'm just mad that the Protectin levels were'nt enough evidence to start some proper treatment during the height of my flare up. I've not read too much about IBD because I'm scared of it. Sorry for going on and excuse the grammar.

Hi everyone, I've been pretty ill over the last 2 months, I've had severe adnominal pain in the upper quadrants of my abdo. I've been prisoned to my house and only just turning a corner.
Let me give you a breif history, I've always had problems with loose muscus bowel movements 10-15 times a time, the docs put it down to IBS, I learnt to live with it and refused several endoscopy's over the years. At the beginning of the year I was admitted to hospital with abdo pain and discharged with suspected pancreatistis. I was placed under a hematology consultant as there were concerns that previous heavy drinking may of caused it. I had a scan which showed a enlarged liver but luckily minimal scarring. Over the months my bowel movement have got more frequent and the tummy pains more frequent. A couple of months ago the pain was getting worse on a daily basis until one evening the pain was so bad my wife called for an ambulance. I was'nt in good shape I had a heart rate of 35 and decreasing and blood pressure through the roof, i remember the crew getting the cardiac arrest drugs ready, I thought my days were numbered. Luckily with the aid of alot of morphine and fluids my heart rate began to raise to 40-50bpm. I was taken into the Resus room at our local hospital (which is 1 hr away) where abdo x rays were taken to ensure there was no perferation, luckily not.
I was stabilised and taken to the Surgical receiving unit. On a previous visit to the doctor I done a stool sample, my pro tectin levels were 151 which I was told was high. Anyway back in the hospital the consultants wanted an endoscopy however could see I was way to ill for one to be performed. I was discharged with pain medication and mebervine.
When I felt a little better I was booked in for the endoscopy, I took the bowel prep (which wiped me out again) and had the endoscopy under sedation. Unfortunetely I had the stand in surgeon doing the endoscopy but was assured he knew what he was doing. Dispite the discomfort the camera managed to get to the terminal ileum. I had several biopsies taken including one from the ileum (I am awaiting results). Strangely enough the surgeon said my colon looked normal despite being bedridden for weeks prior.
My understanding was that the protectin test was designed to replace the endoscopy procedure? Would make sense as the patient is normally to fagile to under go a endoscopy during a flare up (With I believe I had).
I was glad no lumps or bumps were found though.
So here I am still with managable abdo pain awaiting the biopsy results. Cant eat much so having Complan to fill in the gaps. Been trying to eat fish that seem ok and dose'nt hurt like other foods such as boiled new potatoes..ouch!
I've been reading Manuka honey is good for these types of problems.
Another funny thing is I've been getting alot of kidney pain, my doc placed me on strong anti biotics as my bloods showed raised white blood cells. Been feel sick, not being able to do much activity, find it hard to bend down, toilet habit is all over the place at the moment due to the amont of codeine I'm taken for the pains. I'm just mad that the Protectin levels were'nt enough evidence to start some proper treatment during the height of my flare up. I've not read too much about IBD because I'm scared of it. Sorry for going on and excuse the grammar.
Hi Paul

Sorry to hear you have been feeling so unwell. Im currently undiagnosed and awaiting a capsule endoscopy. My Faecal calprotectin test was 139. I had a colonoscopy that was normal in appearance, however my biopsies revealed inflammation in the terminal Ileum. Drs Think I have Crohns but before confirming they want the capsule endoscopy done first. I suffer from lower right quadrant pain, in addition I have a Gallstone and a cyst on my Pancreas. Im sure there are lots of people on this site who can give you good advice and support. I hope you get your diagnosis soon and receive good treatment that will enable you to have a good quality of life again xx

Thanks Tracey for replying - I'm hoping in a strange way something shows up on the bisopsy, at least that was I can get some treatment. I'm assuming if inflammation is found a pill endoscopy is the next step?

Thanks Tracey for replying - I'm hoping in a strange way something shows up on the bisopsy, at least that was I can get some treatment. I'm assuming if inflammation is found a pill endoscopy is the next step?
Hi again Paul

I had a small bowel mri that didn't reveal anything as far as im aware ( Ive not seen the actual report) so The GI team are organising the capsule endoscopy because apparently an mre does not pick up ulcers. Meantime all my symptoms are the same. My GP has started me on Salazine to see if that helps - fingers crossed.. I asked the med sec to send me a copy of the report. Incidently I do work in an endoscopy unit as an administrator so am medical terminology aware. Good luck with your tests xx

Well rang the consultant today expecting results from biopsy and surprise surprise, there not ready. Consultant now chasing for results, looks like its more pain meds until i get some proper treatment or at least some form of diagnosis. My mental health issues dont help the situation either. :stinks:

Well rang the consultant today expecting results from biopsy and surprise surprise, there not ready. Consultant now chasing for results, looks like its more pain meds until i get some proper treatment or at least some form of diagnosis. My mental health issues dont help the situation either. :stinks:
Hi Paul

Sorry to hear you haven't got your results yet. I hope it doesn't take too much longer. Its funny u mention results because I was told I have mild acute inflammation in my terminal ileum, noiw having read a report it states I have a apththous ulcer. I do understand exactly what u mean regarding your state of mind, im going through the same and despite having panic attacks im not going to allow myself to become agoraphobic. Might be worth speaking to your GP about it. Maybe some counselling might help. Its good to offload to someone out of your circle. Im rooting for you, feel free to message me anytime. I hope other members can give u sound advice x