• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hi im new? Help!

Hi,

I am a teenage girl who is in the middle of being diagnosed with either crohns or FMF (a rare genetic bowl disease thats a bit like crohns) and my doctor has put me on a mainly liquid diet and says i should try to find safe foods, any ideas on what may help cause i am really struggling

Thanks!!

DJW

Forum Monitor
Hi Jayco and welcome. You're in a difficult place.

A food and symptom journal is very helpful in identifying the foods that are causing issues. Its good to take it to your appointments.

I hope you start feeling better soon. Sending you my support.

Hello! Our wiki has a very good article on common problem foods for those with Crohn's Disease. The biggest culprits I could name offhand are spicy food, uncooked or lightly cooked veggies and fruits, seeds, and caffeine but it's different for everyone and you should keep a food and symptom journal to discover what is and isn't safe for you to eat!

Hi Jayco!
I fully agree with both DJW and Orchid. I have had Crohn's for 10 years now and the foods I avoid during a major flare-up are the following: chocolate, fried foods, greasy foods, fatty foods, spicy foods, onions, tomatoes, sauces, sugar, citrus (Lemons, oranges, etc), green leafy vegetables (lettuce, spinach, etc.), and pop/juice. Many of these foods cause excessive gas and abdominal pain. But everyone has different reactions to different foods. Begin testing certain foods one time and if it causes you pain, avoid it. I wish you the best =)