• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hi I'm Rosie and I have crohn's

Hello everyone! I am new and would like to introduce myself...I'm Rosie. I will try to make this as brief as possable. My story started back in 1993. I started having pain and other complications. Went to see a GI but they had no clue as to what was wrong. I started to feel better for the most part but every once in a while I would flair up, I just thought maybe it was something I ate or I was just sick...anyway, in 1997 I had a somewhat difficult pregnency. Lots of pain! The doctor said it was just gas and stretching pain from my stomach getting so big. Right after I had my son (who, thank God was healthy) was when the real problems started...I was in the worst pain I had ever been in!! My doctor at the time was just awful! He didn't know what was wrong and said that it was in my head...but continued to give me pain meds! If it was in my head why would he do that!?! :ybatty: I even vomited in his office but still "I'm faking it?" So, in and out of the ER...that was my life. Then one day in the ER, the doctor wanted to admit me and do tests...my doctor denied the request so insurance would not ok it. Then I decided to have a tubal ligation (because the worst hit me after my pregnancy...) Well, my GYN was the one who saved me. He knew all the troubles, pain, etc that I was going through. When he proformed the surgery he saw that my insides where flaming red. I immediatly was directed to a GI that figured out I had Crohn's Disease! I was so happy to get a name for my condition! I had surgery and went into remission for several years, then started having flair ups and obstructions every year or so. My last hospital stay was a few weeks ago. Unfortunately, I'm not doing so great right now. It looks like I have not only inflamation in my lower intestine but now I am having problems with my esophgus. A recent endoscopy reveals ulcers. I do feel like I have a good doctor, support from my husband, and I am trying out new meds. So, that's my story. Sorry it was so long! This forum is a blessing! Thanks for listening!

Karen

FRIEND 4 1 & ALL
Welcome Rosie !!! I am sure that you will find lots of support here in the Crohn's Forum and there are a lot of nice folks that can help you out. I'm a WIFE to a crohnie and it has been hard but he was their for me when I got the news I was diabetic and so in turn I am right there for him too. So, take care and have a good time !!!

nogutsnoglory

Hey Rosie, welcome to the forum. Sorry you had a bad experience with a doctor. Some of them can be so insensitive and don't do their job properly. It's a shame, but there are great and reliable doctors out there too.

Are you currently taking any meds for your new flare?

You are right about there being good doctors out there! I am taking a total of about 17 pills a day right now. Some of those are because I'm taking several pills a day of the same medicine. I was taking prednisone for a few weeks but then I tapered off, thank goodness! Now I am taking pentasa, entocort, nexium, plus pain meds when I need them. I am having this strange pain when I swallow food. It's like the food goes down real slow. That is why I had the endoscopy in the first place. I'm wondering if you...or anyone else reading this has had that symptom? If so, what was your experience?

Thanks!!!

Last edited:

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Hi RosieM and welcome to the forum! :D Sorry for the late reply.

I'm glad you were finally able to get a diagnosis and hope your current treatment plan will get you back into remission. :)

As for you feeling like food is going down slowly, what I experience is somewhat similar but may not be the same thing. I'm in a flare again currently (also went into remission after surgery) and my inflammation is coming back at my resection site (ileum/cecum). I've noticed that my acid reflux has increased a lot (never took meds for it before) so I take Omeprazole twice a day yet sometimes I still get a strange feeling when eating. I still feel hungry yet I'm not quite full either, whatever the feeling is though it causes me to stop eating until it passes. Personally I think its a combination of gas buildup from the stricture and the increase in acid reflux. Acid reflux can cause ulcers and make your esophagus more narrow (cause strictures) so maybe your doctor could look into that a little more (perhaps the Nexium or current dose isn't enough).

Thanks for the input Jennifer! I had an appointment with my GI yesterday. He told me to continue the nexium for several more weeks then stop it for two weeks and see him again. From there we will reeevaluate...he might want to do another colonscopy/endoscopy. If I'm not doing better we will discuss other treatments such as Remicade/Humara :(

Don't worry about the length of your message. I did the same thing. I am considering calling my doctor. I have had some cramping and been losing control lately.:)