• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hi. My name is Brodie.

I have been battling Crohns since I was a kid. Its even gone into remission for extended periods of time...Until four years ago. On Oct 3rd 2010 I was in a bad car accident in which I broke my spine and both hips. I had been in remission for several months prior to that, and I was feeling really good...Until I was put on pain/nerve meds for my fractured spine/hips and nerve damage. My crohns immediately started to flare bad. Since then I have been dealing with a constant crohns flare, which has included extreme malabsorption, to the point of causing me to pass out, fall down and refracture my hip a year ago, several blockages, which have caused me to no longer be able to handle taking ANY pain meds, and feeling like my life is entirely disrupted. I am having a hard time finding a job (I have gotten several jobs at times where I mistakenly thought I was feeling ok enough to work, which all ended in me being unable to fulfill my job duties) between the crohns discomfort, the pain in my spine and hips and the chronic fatigue and stress from the whole combo. I am on here hoping to make some new friends who understand how challenging it can be.

Hi Brodie - welcome!! It is a challenge to juggle work and health issues. So sorry to hear you have had such a rough time.

You will find wonderful friends and advice on this site - it has been a lifesaver for me!!

Good luck!!

Hello Brodie!
So sorry to hear about your situation. Can't say I understand about the spine/hip pains, but I do fully understand the crohn's part. I have been in a flare for over three years. Tired Imuran, humira, prednisone and remicade. Now I'm on to trying entyvio, and if that fails I will need surgery. NO FUN!!
I too have dealt with the job thing. I got my first job at a restaurant when I was 16 (I'm now 19) and that was when I was in the process of being diagnosed. My first day I was sick as heck! Then I was working at a grocery store for a year after that, and I remember the constant fear of my tummy acting up at the wrong time. I had to call in quite a bit and eventually quit. I didn't work for a year, but now I am working at a call center. This works out much better for me. I am sitting the entire day which helps me get through the day even on bad days. Is there anything like that around you? Or maybe try something from the home.
I am new to this site and also trying to find some friends who understand the anxiety/depression we deal with. Hope things start looking up for you soon!