• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hi, new, Crohn's disease diagnosis

Hey guys just thought I'd join this forums after constantly searching Crohn's related questions and ended up on this site most of the time along with Healing well, thought I'd join here since this is more Crohn's focused.

I am now 19 Diagnosed atleast a month ago. Going to college.

Going to have an appointment with my GI soon after being put on omezparole, buedosodine and imuran for I believe a month. I also have started taking VSL #3, and planning to take turmeric either supplement or powder form, in addition taking a multivit and Ferrro sequels Iron supplement, in addition to an extra 2000 IU of D3. Also taking Ensure ( have heard recently its not the healthiest but some say it helps for remission)

However is there any general rules I should know for Crohn's or insight of suggestions of VSL/ Tumeric/Supplements/ Stress wise (I'm kinda worrisome now that I've been diagnosed with Crohn's was wondering how to reduce the worrying) ? I have done alot of research but could probably use some general help.
Thanks!

Thanks! I've always seen you posting around when I land on the forums searching on google. Hope to see ya around. I do find that doing something distracting helps but I can't help it sometimes bad thought come in my head at times. Although I'm working on this I assume its since I've been recently diagnosed and don't understand it 100% yet.

Welcome to the forum, so sorry you've been dxed with CD.

You may want to browse through our subforms for diet, exercise treatment etc. You will find threads that may pertain to your questions about supplements, stress and so forth.

As far Ensure and remission there is several studies that show taking Ensure or nutritional formulas exclusive has the same efficacy as pred. So a number of people do use exclusive enteral nutrition EEN(formula only) instead of pred to dampen down the inflammation while their maintenance drug like imuran builds up. There are several different ways, 100% formula, 90% formula/10% food or 80% formula /10% food. So in a days span on the 90/10 regimen 90% of your caloric food intake will be formula and the other 10% food. The food may come from certain diets like the IBD-AID diet or SCD.

Now at other times people use formula too, polymeric like ensure or pxed semi elemental or elemental formulas that peptamen 1.5 etc as a supplemental addition to maintain weight, help gain weight or to avoid food stuffs going through the GI tract when it is extremely inflamed or narrowed.

Either method should be discussed with your GI and nutritionist to make sure you are taking in the amount of calories you need in relation to ant absorption issues you may be having due to active flaring.