• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hi people, in after some info on any alternate ways of keeping crohn's at bay

Hi i'm new to the site i'm 24 and just been diagnosed with moderate/severe crohn's. My colonoscopy pictures shown over half my bowel was red raw and swollen with inflammation around it,i have been feeling pretty bad but from what i have read i have been lucky and not been in as much pain as a lot of you. I've only been getting these pains for about 2 months, at first i was only getting them of a night and then started after every meal they was pretty bad but bearable to an extent, but a couple of days before Christmas the became unbearable and i had to go to A and E. they found out fairly quickly what the problem was and have started me on steroids which are making me feel better but i know they are not good for me in the long run i'm back to about 70% atm (still gettin cramps but not as much or as harsh), my aim now is to find out as much as i can on how to keep symptoms down and what are peoples views on taking the steroids area lot of the reviews on the internet say they do as much bad as they do good in some cases, i'm wondering does any body have any successful alternatives. Any help would be much appreciated thanks for reading

Hi Paul and welcome to the forum :)
Steroids are a good short term fix for getting the inflammation under control and everyone's reactions to them are different. I for one loved them, I had energy, an appetite, put on weight and my mood was good. But others not so much. Hopefully yours will be a good experience. Take calcium, magnesium and vit D while on them and for a time after to keep you bone density good. As for alternatives you could try an elemental diet-which is all your necessary nutrients in liquid form (gives the body time to rest and heal) you can find more info in diet and nutrition portion of this site. Just keep looking through the forum and asking questions, you will find a ton of info and support here.

thanks for replying have you ever known any one to use cannabis oil as a cure from what I've read on the internet it has some really good reviews, just wondering if any one has tried it?

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Hi paul m and welcome to the forum! :D

If you're interested in talking about Medical Marijuana we have a section on the forum for it here: http://www.crohnsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63

To help with symptoms many people including myself go on the low residue diet. Keeping a food diary can also help you figure out which foods trigger your symptoms more than others so you can cut them out until you're feeling better.