• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hi

OK , I was diagnosed with crohns in 1998 at the age of 35 though I have had stomach problems all my life and 😰8 months later with Celiac sprue. Some how unlike most people with these conditions I am fat. Lol. When I have a bad flare up I some how gain weight even though I can't eat for weeks or months then when the flare up is over I loose the weight I've gained. Though I am over weight I do not absorb nutrients well. It caused by bone graph in my lower back to desolve even though I was take large doses of oyster calcium. I also have to take potassium.

I have symptoms all the time. When it flares worse it is usually caused by accidently ingesting Gluten. It causes bleeding diarreha abdomen pain (feels like my intestines are trying to telescope into each other.) then after a while constipation v nausea vomiting and a few years ago crohns attacked my pancreas and caused type 1 insulin dependent diabetes :ytongue:

I am on 50 azathioprine as the full dose caused symptoms mirroring Leukemia. Thankfully I went back to normal when dose was reduced. When I have flare up I take high does of prednisone. They want me on humira but I am afraid of the stuff so I have refused it so far.

So try to control it with gluten free diet and the azathioprine.

Thanks for listening as I usually keep quiet so I don't worry my family so it's nice to spew

Welcome to the forum. I am sorry you have this disease. I have done the first two loading doses of Humira and will do the first maintenance dose on Wednesday. Sending support.

scottsma

Hello and welcome.This is the BEST forum for support and friendship.It's a misconception that crohns turns everyone into a bean-pole.There are quite a few people on here that class themselves as overweight so you're not alone.There's a thread you can link to,I'm not certain, but I think it's "Overweight with crohns"
You're story will help others,so don't be shy.

Welcome to the forum.When I 1st got sick I was 65lbs at 12 for the next 10 years I was on high doses of prednisone for about 90% of that time I'd get up to 180lbs then I'd be off it and I'd range from 120 to 135.After 4 or 5 times of tapering off I couldn't lose the weight no matter what I ate no matter how much I worked out or was active I kept putting on weight.By age 17 I was 200lbs flaring all the time still putting on weight.By age 22 I was 235lbs and pretty short I stopped weighing myself at this point I know I gained more weight,a few months later I had my colon removed I was quickly 114lbs.Since they I've had many surgeries and have struggled gaining weight and have gotten as low as the low 80's within the last year or so I've found a new nutritionist and now I'm up to 167lbs and Last week my GI told me I'm overweight after 12 years of him nagging me constantly to put on weight.