• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hi :)

Hi everyone! My name is Brittany, I'm 27 and married and a stay at home mommy to a beautiful 19 month old. I was just officially Diagnosed with Crohn's this past Friday. Turns out I've probably had it for about 6 years and didn't know it. Have had knots/ulcers on my legs and fistulas around Anus that had been misdiagnosed as staph, Anemia thought to be caused by my period, Vit D deficiency, clubbed fingers, mouth ulcers thought to be an issue of food allergies, stomach pain and diarrheah that I always just assumed was due to stress or being over weight ( I used to be almost 300 pounds, now 149). I just never put all my wierd symptoms together. A few weeks ago my tummy started hurting Bad and so I went to dr and she said it was probably just IBS but ordered a CT scan anyways. They called me back like an hour later and told me to head to er. I was terrified. Thought cancer or something. Turns out they actually thought I had a ruptured appendix Bc I had lots of inflammation and an abscess. As they were prepping me for surgery another Dr came in, one who I guess had really looked at my chart and history and asked to see my booty and looked at what I thought was just scar tissue from staph. Turned out to be fistulas and she decided then that it looked like Crohn's. Canceled surgery and I was in the hospital for 5 days on heavy antibiotics. Came home feeling better and waiting to get scheduled for a colonoscopy. 2 days after being released from hospital I began to have seizures. Back in the hospital for 3 more days. Wasn't my first seizures, had one the day I brought my daughter home after having her. They just thought then it was side effect of epidural but I guess not. So I've also been diagnosed with mild epilepsy ( although they think that my antibiotic Cipro is what triggered it, but my mom is also epileptic). So I finally got in, got my colonoscopy and was officially diagnosed. I have an abscess they are keeping an eye on ( right beside appendix, which is why they thought it had ruptured) and lots of inflammation and stricture in small intestine and colon. Hopefully starting me on Remicade next week. Anyone have experience with it? Sorry so long, but that's my story! Lol. Been a tough few weeks! But I'm so glad to have answers to all my wierd symptoms I never knew was connected!

scottsma

Hi and welcome.I'm so glad that you've at last got a diagnosis.I can't give you advice on Remicade,but plenty on the forum have experience with it,so I know someone will be along soon to help.It's been a long rocky road for you and hopefully you're now on the way to a treatment that will sort your problems out.
This is THE best forum in the world for IBD,for advice,support and friendship,and I know your story will be of help to others too.

Brittany, this is the best place on the internet for IBD support. It really is. Be glad of the diagnosis. I went through about 20 years of not knowing, then 6 years of being told I had Irritable Bowel Syndrome. It was an ER doc who told me I have Crohn's. Your story reminds me of my own history, except I never had an anal fistula (might not have gone undiagnosed/misdiagnosed for so long it I had one).