• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hi

Hi, my name is Julie and I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis on Friday of last week. They are not treating me until I see the GI. The soonest appointment is in December. any advice on how to deal with the pain would be appreciated.

Hi there and welcome

Sorry to hear you’re suffering. In my experience my GP was happy to prescribe things to help once we knew what the problem was. Hopefully now you have a diagnosis they can fix you up with something to keep you going until the GI appointment. The only advice is to avoid NSAID drugs as these irritate the gut and contribute to bleeding. I personally manage with paracetamol and codeine, but I know there are other options too so please don’t suffer in silence, go and make your voice heard if something isn’t working for you.

Let us know how you are

Just to add, there’s a big difference between treating the condition and managing your symptoms. My GI and IBD nurse prescribe drugs to treat the condition, and the GP will prescribe supplements, pain relief and other things to manage the symptoms.

I hope this helps!