• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hiatal hernias and heart palpitations

Has anyone with a hiatal hernia experienced heart palpitations? I ask because I've recently had a problem with heart palpitations and it started after an awful night where I was up with severe acid reflux. the palpitations also increase when I move a certain way. I thought it was related to all activity which scared me but I've since noticed it's when I curl my arms toward my chest. I'm seeing a doctor for this and have tests scheduled but wanted to see if anyone else with a hiatal hernia has experienced heart palpitations.

Thanks!

Sybil, I also notice my heart palpatations can be set off if I move a certain way. Like for instance, if I am sitting in my chair and I lean to the side or somthing, my heart will go nuts. I was told by a chiropractor that you can actually pinch a nerve and it will cause the heart to become irregular or to race. I think that is what is happening when I move a certain way and I feel my heart flutter.

Also the vagus nerve controls the heart as well and that can cause issues as well. Do you notice the palpatations at night time when you sleep too??

Has anyone with a hiatal hernia experienced heart palpitations? I ask because I've recently had a problem with heart palpitations and it started after an awful night where I was up with severe acid reflux. the palpitations also increase when I move a certain way. I thought it was related to all activity which scared me but I've since noticed it's when I curl my arms toward my chest. I'm seeing a doctor for this and have tests scheduled but wanted to see if anyone else with a hiatal hernia has experienced heart palpitations.

Thanks!

I can feel them before I go to bed but they don't wake me up. They've gotten less and less frequent over the last two weeks, but when they started it was once every 10 minutes. I wonder if it's not a nerve issue. I have my echo tomorrow so hopefully I'll get an all-clear on that end!