• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hidden blood in stool

With my Crohn's, I typically don't have blood in the stool. However, yesterday I was at urgent care diagnosed with pneumonia (if it isn't one thing, it is another). Anyway, the blood test showed a low platelet count. I had my blood drawn a week and a half ago and my platelet count was at the very low end of normal then. I was wondering if the reason could be blood in the stool? I haven't noticed any, but perhaps it is hidden? I can't figure out why my platelet count would drop so much in a week and a half otherwise. I haven't had my period since my last blood test, so that isn't it.

Are you on any medications? Some medications can mess with platelet counts..

With my Crohn's, I typically don't have blood in the stool. However, yesterday I was at urgent care diagnosed with pneumonia (if it isn't one thing, it is another). Anyway, the blood test showed a low platelet count. I had my blood drawn a week and a half ago and my platelet count was at the very low end of normal then. I was wondering if the reason could be blood in the stool? I haven't noticed any, but perhaps it is hidden? I can't figure out why my platelet count would drop so much in a week and a half otherwise. I haven't had my period since my last blood test, so that isn't it.

I'm on mercaptopur and I just finished a course of predisone. My stool is an orangish brown color most of the time.

The article that Jennifer linked to suggests it could be the pneumonia itself causing the low platelet count.

6mp- mercaptopurine- can decrease platelet counts. It also decreases white blood cells and red cell counts. Crohn's inflammaton is usually associated with a high or high normal platelet count. GI bleeding doesn't usually cause a change in platelet counts. Very serious infections (sepsis) can be associated with low platelet counts but walking pneumonia isn't likely to have a change in platelets.

If your platelet counts were in the normal range (even the low normal range), it would not increase your risk of bleeding.

My platelet count went from 150,000 a week and a half ago to 90,000 as of Thursday night. With the 150K, my understanding is that is the very low edge of normal, but 90K is below normal, based on what the urgent care doc said. I follow up with my primary care doctor on Monday.

Did you contact your GI doctor or primary doctor to let him/her know about the 90K platelet count?
Did your doctor tell you to stop or change your 6mp dose?
If not, I would contact your doctor or the doctor on call and ask.