• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hidradenitis Suppurativa sufferer with a few questions

Hi guys,

I have got Hidradenitis Suppurativa which has lead to a perianal abscess which has lead me to crohns which I had only ever heard of but thought was more digestive difficulties. I am here to learn about the disease as a few of the symptoms ring true with me. It is also a chance to raise awareness of HS and its relationship to Crohns.

Bye for now

Andy

I've had HS since about 6 years into my Crohn's and all of my doctors (about 6 I've seen for it) overlooked that it's HS and never diagnosed it.

It comes and goes with changes in my diet that effect my Crohn's severity, rarely do I get one without the other, they're definitely linked.

Many think that HS may be viral since it seems to respond to magnesium and zinc gluconate, although for me supplements never really seem to help.

It first showed up while on Remicade, and that was when my Remicade stopped working. They pulled me off Remicade thinking it was an infection but Remicade / Humira are actually treatments for HS, so my doctors should have known it was a sign that they were no longer working on me.

I found that it, and my Crohn's symptoms, were much easier to control on a low sugar diet.

Yes it does seem to get missed easily, alot of sufferers seem to be self diagnosed. It's scary how little the doctors seem to know about the drugs they are prescribing sometimes isn't it. I have gone medication free so far and hope to remain that way. Thanks for the tips.