• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hidradentitis Suppurative - newer treatment

Hi all,
I developed Hidradenitis (large, excessive, painful boils in the glandular areas) in 2011 during my 2nd pregnancy. After my pregnancy it was determined that I had scarring on my uterus which needed horemones (Mirena) to prevent excessive bleeding/cramping periods.

Recently I went to a Dermatologist that prescribed Doxycycline. This did work a bit but put me in the worst flare of my life for 3 weeks. When I stopped taking it, my flare stopped. So I went back last week and was told they have a newer treatment: Spironolactone.

The layman explination I got: Too much progesterone, first from the pregnancy then from Mirena, is causing the Hidradenitis. Spironolactone dissolves the progesterone. It will take a while to work (I think it is making my face break out more right now). My side effects have been extra thirst/urination (it is also a diuretic), yawning (not necessarily sleepy), and gas (although the gas has subsided quite a bit).

I'm excited that this might work.