• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

High Bilirubin - is it normal for Remicade?

Hi Greg's bilirubin was 27 yesterday which is a little high.

Is this to be expected with Remicade infusions?

Not sure whether it's worth mentioning to the nurse.

Thanks

Hi, thaks for answering,

Yes less <21 apparently.

It's just that as you probably have guessed from my posts this week he's been fairly sick over the last month. He's had a lot of right side pain which isn't too much of a surprise as he damaged his bowel 2012 with a life threatening bout of pancolitis. And he has scarring etc.

I've been watching his blood tests over the past while and seen a very minor trend towards odd liver function tests. He's still struggling to get rid of C Diff he's stopped bleeding with the increased Vancomycin but he's still having 6+ BM of just watery diarrhea.

I was just wondering if we're over stressed and over analysing. I do know that you're liver function can be affected by too many medications.

But yes, I'll email the nurse!

Catherine

SJ!

What was the previous reading?

Note I don't have Crohn's my daughter does. My bilirubin is always a little high.

Hi Catherine!

In early 2013 it was around 10 then it started to go higher to 19 or 20 right at the top of normal at the end of 2013 and stayed there. A fortnight ago it was 22 and yesterday it was 27! It was highlighted on the "Pre chemo" blood test done for the infusion center. I don't even know if his Dr will notice, do the GI's usually follow up on these routine tests or is it our job to alert them?

What's your level Catherine?

Lol Catherine! He turned 40 on Tuesday!

He's my husband, sometimes he'll browse the forums but he prefers me to ask the questions!

Yes his other liver function tests are normal, he does have low total protein but that's more of a result of never keeping food in his system for long.

If you're ok at 32 then maybe it's not too much to worry about though, thanks for sharing!

Thanks for the encouragement,

I sent the email, I probably wouldn't have asked the question without you people!

Thanks!:kiss:

For what its worth mine is 35 and has been for several years. If the other levels are normal then it is unlikely to be something you need to be worry about.

You might like to do some reading on things like Gilbert’s syndrome

Mike

Catherine

It is most likely nothing. The only concern is that it trending up.

Like mikep my has been high for at least 5 years.