• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

High ferritin Levels after infusion but still tired

CD since 1987. Had part of my bowel removed in 2008 that absorbs iron. Over the course of 2022, my iron was slowly depleting where the last blood test in July said it was 10. I had a monoferric iron IV in October. A month+ later my ferritin level was over 200 but I was still feeling tired. Now it's January and while I am not as bad as I was, I still get tired easily when doing any physical activity and just feel dragged out. Anyone have any experience with monoferric? It's the first time I had it. In the past I've gotten 2-3 Venofer and it slowly worked to make me feel normal again.

Scipio

What is your blood hemoglobin level? That's a measure of how much hemoglobin protein your blood has available to carry oxygen to the tissues and will have a much more direct affect on how you feel than your ferritin level will.

What is your blood hemoglobin level? That's a measure of how much hemoglobin protein your blood has available to carry oxygen to the tissues and will have a much more direct affect on how you feel than your ferritin level will.
It's usually in the high 130s / 140. Last test in the fall it was in the mid/high 120s. I think that's grams/L. I've been in the 120s before and felt more energy than this. Heck I've been in the 60s before too. This feels like my hemoglobin is 100.

Scipio

130 - 140 gm/L is in the normal range, so that wouldn't be the problem. But if it's gets down to as low as 60 (!) it would be time for an emergency transfusion

130 - 140 gm/L is in the normal range, so that wouldn't be the problem. But if it's gets down to as low as 60 (!) it would be time for an emergency transfusion
Yea in 2016 I went to 60 as I had a bad flare and lost a lot of blood. Needed 2 transfusions. But I don't see any obvious signs of blood in the stool and my Crohn's seems to be mostly under control. Thanks for the replies

Maya142

Staff member
Have they check your Vitamin B12 and Vitamin D levels? Deficiencies could cause severe fatigue. My daughter has Crohn's and her GI usually checks her B-12 level when she checks her Ferritin.

Have they check your Vitamin B12 and Vitamin D levels? Deficiencies could cause severe fatigue. My daughter has Crohn's and her GI usually checks her B-12 level when she checks her Ferritin.
Thanks, going to make sure that's on my blood requisition.

Last edited: