• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

High lymphocytes? Help!

Hi.

Do any of you have high lymphocytes on your blood tests??
I've been on Entocort for about 3 months and Remicade for one month. My recent blood tests have shown high lymphocytes (4.8 and 5.1). This makes me really worried since I only find information about leukemia with high lymphocytes :( I'm only 20 years old. And I do not have any current infection that I know of. My leukocytes are also elevated (11) and that's supposed to be normal with steroids - but not lymphocytes.. I'll retake the test next week for my infusion, but would really appreciate some help since I'm worried sick right now. :cry:Thank you.

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
Not sure what the 4.8 and 5.1 equate to, mine at their highest have been 28 (looks like on a different scale from yours) - or percentage wise @23-26% which is LOW.....

Or are you talking about Absolute Lymphocytes? Those show up on my records as @ 2.0-2.8 10*3/uL over the last few years.

Remember, that is only 1 piece of the pie - make sure you talk to your doctor about your concerns and see what the other test results look like....

Scipio

I'm only 20 years old. And I do not have any current infection that I know of. My leukocytes are also elevated (11) and that's supposed to be normal with steroids - but not lymphocytes...
First, relax, It's very unlikely that you have leukemia. To begin with lymphocytes are a subset of leukocytes so the elevation of both is very likely a reflection of the same thing - some infection or inflammation somewhere in your body.

To the best of my knowledge Entocort is not associated with increased risk of leukemia. Some of the biologics do have a slight increased risk, but you haven't been on the Remicade long enough to have had much of a chance to induce anything like leukemia.

Follow-up with your doctor and figure it out together. But relax about the leukemia. It's way too soon to worry about that.

First, relax, It's very unlikely that you have leukemia. To begin with lymphocytes are a subset of leukocytes so the elevation of both is very likely a reflection of the same thing - some infection or inflammation somewhere in your body.

To the best of my knowledge Entocort is not associated with increased risk of leukemia. Some of the biologics do have a slight increased risk, but you haven't been on the Remicade long enough to have had much of a chance to induce anything like leukemia.

Follow-up with your doctor and figure it out together. But relax about the leukemia. It's way too soon to worry about that.
Hi! I know it’s not likely, and it’s started before my first Remicade infusion so I don’t believe that’s the case either. But when I searched for this, basically the only 2 explanations were acute viral or bacterial infections, or leukemia/lymphoma. I just wanted to ask if anyone else had experienced elevated lymphocytes as that would give me some peace of mind. It doesn’t really seem to be the case though. Thank you for your reply!

Not sure what the 4.8 and 5.1 equate to, mine at their highest have been 28 (looks like on a different scale from yours) - or percentage wise @23-26% which is LOW.....

Or are you talking about Absolute Lymphocytes? Those show up on my records as @ 2.0-2.8 10*3/uL over the last few years.

Remember, that is only 1 piece of the pie - make sure you talk to your doctor about your concerns and see what the other test results look like....
Thank you. Yes, they are absolute lymphocytes. I don’t have any results in the percent scale, I don’t know if they do those here (I’m from Sweden).