• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

High Protein/High Fat Diet Causes Crohn's?

I'm not sure if I mentioned this anywhere, but my former GP put me on a Paleo diet back in March 2015 when she thought my gallbladder was showing signs of cholecystitis (back when I had no insurance). She also said that it was really good for weight loss. Her orders were to eat a high protein diet (she said about 100g a day). Since I was low-income, she said that eggs were really good, too. Well, I tried it and lost between 30-35 lbs in less than a year. In the last few months, my GI symptoms started to flare up (currently undiagnosed but going through a gamut of tests including a colonoscopy on Wednesday). My new GP and GI docs said, "You probably need your gallbladder out." But my gallbladder is functioning normally.

Anyway, I read through a ton of literature and decided to look up and see if a high-protein/high-fat diet can cause problems and discovered that it can lead to developing Crohn's disease. I am a "meat and potatoes" gal and ate plenty of red meat, including burgers (no bun). I also LOVE chicken and would eat it at every meal if I could. Eggs, fish, bacon, dairy (the good kind that was grass fed), etc. - I ate a ton of protein. I don't think I ever hit 100g more than a few times but I definitely tried. I also used protein bars and shakes to help me get closest to the amount I could. I tried to eat the healthiest fats (as I said, grassfed, as much as possible, and unsaturated)

I'm finding the connection interesting, but I also wonder if anyone has any experience with protein or fat causing flares? Did your doctor ever suspect protein had anything to do with it if you ate Paleo?

It's the lack of fiber that can really do you harm. fiber feeds the good bacteria, the good bacteria ferment fiber into compounds that inhibit the growth of pathogenic bacteria, and a low fiber diet can cause the good bacteria to basically starve. You may be still be able to eat alot of protein but if you ain't got fiber, that's a big problem. Red meat has been linked to colon cancer and relapse of ulcerative colitis so stick with fish and chicken eggs if possible.

I also was on a high protein diet before developing crohns, and I also never got vit d from the sun and i stopped eating dairy which further dropped vit d levels and i had tons of antibiotics all that messed up my gut. ALso been exposed to carageenan in soy milk for years and artificial sweeteners. All the risk factors I was exposed to.

Fecal microbiota transplants seem to correct some of these issues its a experimental procedure with some astounding results so far check out my thread if you haven't already. BTW Oats, refried pinto beans, cranberries and apples are probably the best sources of fiber in my experience.

There is a great section here on different diets. It is called something like diet , nutrition and supplements or something similar.

When I read about paleo diets what I learned is that there isn't one paleo diet. There are many different paleo diet plans. There is everything from low fat, high fiber and low protein, to high fat and moderate protein which is more similar to a Keto diet.

None of the paleo diet writers seem to completely agree on the idea paleo plan. It makes some since as different ancient cultures had different eating plans.

Different people with IBD conditions seem to respond differently to diets I've noticed. Some improve and some do worse I've read. i'm personally on a low fiber, higher fat, moderate protein diet and doing well with my health. My diet I suppose is more complicated than fiber, fats, carbs and proteins as I'm selective with foods. I suspect, but am unsure, some foods cause reactions. I've likely eaten my last piece of pork for example as I'm confident it causes health issues for me. There are other foods on my avoid/ suspect list. Overall my stomach is doing well and energy levels nicely improved on the diet I'm following. Most likely I still have a ways to go for recovery but I'm pleased with the direction I'm heading.

It's the lack of fiber that can really do you harm. fiber feeds the good bacteria, the good bacteria ferment fiber into compounds that inhibit the growth of pathogenic bacteria, and a low fiber diet can cause the good bacteria to basically starve. You may be still be able to eat alot of protein but if you ain't got fiber, that's a big problem. Red meat has been linked to colon cancer and relapse of ulcerative colitis so stick with fish and chicken eggs if possible.

I also was on a high protein diet before developing crohns, and I also never got vit d from the sun and i stopped eating dairy which further dropped vit d levels and i had tons of antibiotics all that messed up my gut. ALso been exposed to carageenan in soy milk for years and artificial sweeteners. All the risk factors I was exposed to.

Fecal microbiota transplants seem to correct some of these issues its a experimental procedure with some astounding results so far check out my thread if you haven't already. BTW Oats, refried pinto beans, cranberries and apples are probably the best sources of fiber in my experience.
Here is an article that covers low fiber diet as a risk factor for starving good bacteria that live on intestinal walls.http://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2016/01/fiber-gut-bacteria-microbiome/423903/

When I read about paleo diets what I learned is that there isn't one paleo diet. There are many different paleo diet plans. There is everything from low fat, high fiber and low protein, to high fat and moderate protein which is more similar to a Keto diet.

None of the paleo diet writers seem to completely agree on the idea paleo plan. It makes some since as different ancient cultures had different eating plans.

Different people with IBD conditions seem to respond differently to diets I've noticed. Some improve and some do worse I've read. i'm personally on a low fiber, higher fat, moderate protein diet and doing well with my health. My diet I suppose is more complicated than fiber, fats, carbs and proteins as I'm selective with foods. I suspect, but am unsure, some foods cause reactions. I've likely eaten my last piece of pork for example as I'm confident it causes health issues for me. There are other foods on my avoid/ suspect list. Overall my stomach is doing well and energy levels nicely improved on the diet I'm following. Most likely I still have a ways to go for recovery but I'm pleased with the direction I'm heading.
Yes, I was astonished by the amount of conflicting information on what a Paleo diet entails, especially what you could and could not eat. My doctor told me to make the diet my own and decide for myself after doing research. Her only orders were to eliminate grains - even GF grains - and go low-carb. I ended up doing the Primal diet because I could not eliminate dairy completely as I love milk and cheese. Recently, within the last month, I've started allowing grains back in because I needed more fiber. I've put on about 6-7 lbs, which I am not happy with because I worked so hard to get that weight off. After my colonoscopy, I seriously plan to put a hard and fast limit on the carbs. I also need to get back to exercising regularly.

I liked the Primal diet. That's probably the closest diet idea that I'm currently following at the moment. Kerry Gold cheese, which is grass fed, is the dairy that I'm eating at the moment.

I'm feeling good and enjoying the results on the personal diet. I do have a complaint though. To some extent It is kind of embarrassing how much energy I have this morning. I keep having to move around, bouncing my legs, moving my arms, going for quick walk arounds. This is entirely different from the low energy levels I'm used to.

I wish I could eat fiber but apparently my gut isn't healed up enough so that I can. I experienced that first hand 4 or 5 days ago. I ate a good amount of nut and fruit fibers then as a result was terribly ill that evening. At least on the positive I've recovered and am literally bouncing back quickly. With a little luck in a month or two I'll be able to add some fiber rich foods to the diet. I miss many vegetables.

I've also been doing some acupuncture energy ideas also, so possibly that is helping me.

Best of luck figuring out what works for you, with feeling better and dropping the weight.