• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

High pulse rate

Not sure if this is related to the other stuff I've been worried about, so I thought I'd start a new thread. My dad has a home blood pressure monitor, he has to monitor his pressure at home because his pressure shoots up at the doctor's. So out of interest I took mine. My pressure was something like 125/69, which my dad said was fine, but my pulse was 101 which he said was too high, especially as it was a resting pulse (I had been sitting for half an hour, and had not had any coffee or anything like that for several hours). Is he right, and is it something I should be worried about?

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Yes, that is high for a resting pulse.

Are you anaemic? Or could you be dehydrated?

Dusty. xxx

I have a high pulse rate as well. I was told (by a Chinese herbalist/accupuncturist with little familiarity with Western medicine) that it might be because of the medications I'm taking. But whether it's medication-related or something genetic and unrelated to Crohn's, I would reccomend talking to your doctor.

I've had a lower BP and high resting pulse my whole life. It's just one of those things. My mother did too (she also has Crohn's) until she gave birth to me. Then her BP went high and continues to be to this day.

I have this without anemia and without being dehydrated. Just the way my bod works and I have heard of others with Crohn's having this as well. Not all, but I have heard of a few.

I'm on a beta blocker for it and have a BP cuff at home to keep an eye on things when and if I feel wonky.

I've had a lower BP and high resting pulse my whole life.
Woah! Took the words right outta my mouth! Even when I am highly athletic my resting pulse stays stupid high. I have never been told I need anything for this (although I take a beta blocker to prevent migraines).

Even on the propranolol my resting pulse is the same as an unfit person's.

Nyx

Mine's almost constantly at 120. They freaked out about it when I was in the hospital, but when it didn't go down and they did all kinds of tests and determined that it doesn't really affect me, they let it go. I haven't had any problems (so far)....

Could mean stress, infection, fever, just before i was diagnosed my resting pulse rate was 160 and they did lots of tests to see what was causing it as i had a fever aswell one of the tests was to test my adrenal glands in a CT scan and thats when they found out i had crohns.

has it got above 100 if so you could be dehydrated

has it got above 100 if so you could be dehydrated keep a eye on it and if it gets above like 108 or 122 then you could dehydrated have you called your doctor if not i would and see what they say