• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

High vitamin b12

Just got some test results today. B12 levels were highlighted as being over 1000. I'm not taking any supplements.
Any reason it would be so high?

i don't know anything about high B12, only low.. i just looked on Google and mostly the stated causes of it being high are directly to do with supplements/injections. i did find something about diet possibly increasing B12 - seaweed in particular. but most sites say high B12 is much less worrying than too low - and the body disposes of the extra B12 it doesn't need.

what did your doc say about the result, Creepy?

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
That is a new one for me too.... sorry Creepy cant help you but if you ever find out let us know....anyone have this? I thought there was another Crohnie on here to had it...slips my mind who it is tho.

Wow? could it be wrong? I agree with above I don't think it should be dangerous let us know what the doctor says very interesting hope your ok xx

Silvermoon

OK, hope I don't freak you out here, by my lab value books indicate that high levels of B12 in the blood could be an indication of something not right in the liver.... maybe the doc needs to order some liver function tests??

OK, hope I don't freak you out here, by my lab value books indicate that high levels of B12 in the blood could be an indication of something not right in the liver.... maybe the doc needs to order some liver function tests??
To be honest, if you combine it with a few other issues I have right now, it's could be a thyroid or nerve demyelination issue. Recent thyroid test was fine. Liver is same as usual (slightly elevated AST).

I've been referred to a neurologist for some of the other stuff, so I'll mention it.

In all honesty, it's probably nothing.

Silvermoon

yeahhh good idea. It could be nothing, seeing as how other tests appear "relatively" normal. Nerve demyelination could make sense...good idea re: the neurologist, and good luck. Hopefully it all goes well.

Mine was 1500 last month. I was taking 2000mgs a day though of b12. My dr didnt say anything about it. Should I be worried!

I have constant B12 issues and a few different docs have told me that there is a range..and I dont recall the numbers right now...but I dont think 1000 is too high. I have to take shots twice a month and when I take my shots my levels get up to almost 3000!! I thought it was too high, but apparently not. So no worries, and good luck~

Silvermoon

Exactly. Levels will go up and down, especially if we are taking supplements.... it's when it is high and we are not on supplements that one wonders WHY it is too high... what else is going on in our crazy bodies....lol