• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

High vitamin D3?

High vitamin D3???

I just got my recent blood test results and everything is within normal range, apart from vitamin D, which is really high. Normal levels according to this lab are 18-62, and I am at 97. I take no supplements (and never have taken vitamin D) and its winter, so not much sun exposure either...
Why should this happen?
Is it something to worry about?
Hope someone can help.. :)

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
Hi there!

Could you be regularly eating certain foods that are high in vitamin D or taking supplements that have vitamin D added to them?

It could also be related to an existing condition. Here's what I found quickly online:

What Causes Elevated Vitamin D Levels? Photo Credit Jupiterimages/Comstock/Getty Images

Vitamin D belongs to a group of five fat-soluble vitamins that are important for your health. Getting enough vitamin D is essential to prevent heath conditions such as rickets, osteomalacia, and muscle pain and weakness. However, having too much vitamin D in your body can be detrimental to your health as well.
Vitamin D

Vitamin D plays an essential role in maintaining normal calcium levels in your body. Keeping blood calcium within narrow range is essential for bone growth, maintaining bone density and proper nervous system functioning, according to the Linus Pauling Institute. The recommended dietary allowance for vitamin D is 600 international units per day for adults up to 70 years of age and 800 IU for adults 71 and older.
Sponsored Links
Calcium's Dirty Secret Free special report reveals the hidden dangers of taking calcium www.belmarrahealth.com
Health Conditions

Certain medical conditions can increase your risk for developing elevated vitamin D levels. People who suffer from primary hyperparathyroidism, or an overactive parathyroid gland, sarcoidosis, tuberculosis and lymphoma can respond to even a slight increase in vitamin D in their diet and develop high blood levels of the vitamin as well as calcium, according to a study published in The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition in 1999. People who suffer from these conditions should keep their vitamin D consumption below 1,000 IU per day and avoid any supplements that contain the vitamin.
Food Intake

Healthy people can also have elevated vitamin D levels if they consume too much vitamin D-rich foods or supplements. Foods that contain high amounts of vitamin D include fatty fish, such as salmon that has 530 IU in a 3-ounce serving, and sardines and mackerel that have more than 200 IU in a 3-ounce serving. Other sources of vitamin D are fortified cereals, milk and juice, as well as egg yolk. Your body can also make vitamin D in the epidermis of the skin in response to sunlight. However, sun exposure does not seem to cause elevated vitamin D levels, according to the Linus Pauling Institute.
Toxicity

Because vitamin D plays an essential role in maintaining calcium balance in your body, hypervitaminosis D, or vitamin D toxicity, causes high serum calcium levels. This condition, also called hypercalcemia, is serious if left untreated for a long period and can cause calcification of the kidneys and heart, formation of kidney stones and loss of bone density. Daily vitamin D doses higher than 50,000 IU can lead to hypercalcemia, according to the Linus Pauling Institute. To prevent elevated vitamin D levels, the upper tolerable intake level for Vitamin D is set at 4,000 IU per day for adults.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/527588-what-causes-elevated-vitamin-d-levels/#ixzz2JfR5WiuC
Source: http://www.livestrong.com/article/527588-what-causes-elevated-vitamin-d-levels/

Thanks for the input.
I don't take any supplements, I do eat lots of salmon, and recently started eating more eggs too... No fortified juices or milk. I guess I just keep an eye on it. I'm curious to see what my doctor will say.

Hmm, That is a bit high, but not super high. I guess it depends on the lab you use too. Also, could the lab has messed up somehow? They have messed up on my labs on more than one occasion. I would ask your doctor to have it retested and while you are fasting. I know my VitD3 has been up to 78 before and my doctor was happy about that! But again, I would have it rechecked to just make sure....

The top range of normal on my test was 100.

I would not get too excited about a high level especially if you are not supplementing. I doubt this is going to cause any problems.

I have heard you should get enough K2 so you can use the D properly. Lettuce, Spinich has this in it, and you can get K2 supplements also.

Dan

Trysha

Staff member
I agree with ihurt the tests should be repeated before doing anything else.
See what your doc says he will likely have some experience dealing with the lab.
Feel better soon
Hugs and best wishes
Trysha