• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Histo and Steroids and Crohn's, Oh My!

Hello, all--

I'm Mike, and I've recently been diagnosed with Crohn's disease. It's taken a long time just to get to this point, and I'm not sure where to start in describing the sordid tale.

I've had bathroom issues for as long as I can remember. I didn't know it wasn't normal to, all of a sudden, have the urge to go, or to try to hold it to make it to a bathroom only to fail. I've seen blood in my stool since I was a junior in high school--not constant, but every now and then. I'd tell the doc and they'd say, "Oh, you probably just have an internal hemorrhoid--eat differently and you'll be fine." Connecting the dots now, I'm sure that it was mild Crohn's just testing the waters.

About three years ago, I started having awful abdominal pain. I thought it was my gallbladder, because that's where it would hurt the most (not always the most often). After throwing up for a few days, I went to the ER, and they referred me to a surgeon to have my gallbladder removed. On the pathology report afterward, I noticed that I didn't have gallstones, just a small amount of sludge. I thought this was curious, but didn't say anything. What're they going to do, put it back?

Almost immediately after I stopped taking the pain medicine during recovery, I started having new pains--different pains. I thought my body was just getting used to not having a gallbladder, and I tried to adjust my diet, but nothing worked. I still had crazy, wake-me-up, take-my-breath cramps every so often. After a few doctor's visits and no good treatment, I finally had a doctor who referred me to a GI. You probably know the drill from there: scope, both ways, and wow was I a typical case! I had internal hemorrhoids (okay, so the doc back in the day was right, kinda), polyps (non-cancerous), and pretty bad ulceration at the end of the small intestine. This and a blood test or two told my doc and me that I was officially a Crohnie.

Unfortunately, I was diagnosed with histoplasmosis two weeks before. I live in an area where it's very common, and I just happened to get lucky, I guess. My lung doctor and my GI are currently fighting about what medicine I should take. I get it. Meanwhile, I'm still hurting. The Prednisone taper I feel has worn off, and now I'm back to the pain.

I've been referred to a internist at a major hospital because my case is complicated. I'm hoping to hear something soon so I can begin treatment proper and start to feel better. Glad to be a part of this forum.

Wwkcome to the forum. You have found a good place to come. Feel free to come any time. I hope you get some relief soon.